Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default replacing basement windows...in concrete?

I live in upstate NY in a house that was built in 2000.

I want to replace the cheap single glass basement windows with some
nicer insulated windows of the same size. How are basement windows
normally set in? I am hoping that the windows are attached to pressure
treated lumber that is in the concrete. Could they just be set in the
concrete itself? I think they are wood frame. If that is the case,
should I install the new vinyle windows with concrete screws (those
blue ones) and silicone?

What is best practice in this situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
M M is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in upstate NY in a house that was built in 2000.

I want to replace the cheap single glass basement windows with some
nicer insulated windows of the same size. How are basement windows
normally set in? I am hoping that the windows are attached to pressure
treated lumber that is in the concrete. Could they just be set in the
concrete itself? I think they are wood frame. If that is the case,
should I install the new vinyle windows with concrete screws (those
blue ones) and silicone?

What is best practice in this situation?

vinyl and mortar... you may have to special order

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

M (nospam) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in upstate NY in a house that was built in 2000.

I want to replace the cheap single glass basement windows with some
nicer insulated windows of the same size. How are basement windows
normally set in? I am hoping that the windows are attached to pressure
treated lumber that is in the concrete. Could they just be set in the
concrete itself? I think they are wood frame. If that is the case,
should I install the new vinyle windows with concrete screws (those
blue ones) and silicone?

What is best practice in this situation?

vinyl and mortar... you may have to special order

Vinyl double glazed windows are great. Just attach to concrete with
any of several methods (Blue tap con screws are good) caulk the
perimeter and thats it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I need to shim the window, should I use synthetic shims? or should
I just screw it in and caulk bigger gaps...I'm talking like maybe 1/4
inch or so?

On Nov 8, 10:10 am, " wrote:
M (nospam) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in upstate NY in a house that was built in 2000.

I want to replace the cheap single glass basement windows with some
nicer insulated windows of the same size. How are basement windows
normally set in? I am hoping that the windows are attached to pressure
treated lumber that is in the concrete. Could they just be set in the
concrete itself? I think they are wood frame. If that is the case,
should I install the new vinyle windows with concrete screws (those
blue ones) and silicone?

What is best practice in this situation?

vinyl and mortar... you may have to special orderVinyl double glazed windows are great. Just attach to concrete with

any of several methods (Blue tap con screws are good) caulk the
perimeter and thats it.

Cutting Concrete? [email protected] Home Repair 20 September 28th 06 12:22 AM
Frame over basement windows? [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 27th 06 08:39 PM
How to replace basement windows (frame not exactly rectangular) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 4th 06 06:47 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Basement Floor New concrete coarse, crumbles, rough, oh no Joe Sloppy Home Repair 4 August 30th 05 09:01 PM