Posted to alt.home.repair
NAL NAL is offline

Default hole in aluminum siding

Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

NAL wrote:
Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

Maybe a blind drier vent or other type vent sealed inside. Will look
functional.
That, or hang a picture over the hole
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just remove the electrical part and leave the box with a blank
cover?
Just curious; what is the motivation to remove it? I can't envision an
scenario where removing it rather than just abandoning it would come up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NAL wrote:
Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

I think pulling the guts of the box and going with a blank would be the
best idea. That way you don't have to worry about re-sealing it or
trying to get something to fit the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NAL" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

How about a bat house? Not sure if they require a certain height from the
ground, though. Bats don't always help with mosquitoes (or so I'm told), but
they are ALWAYS fun to watch, if you have a queasy neighbor you like to
entertain with things he/she thinks are gross. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NAL" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

Is it white? If so, next time you see a siding job being done, stop and as
the guys for a piece of aluminum trim stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
NAL NAL is offline

I'm moving a ho tub and need the electrical components (breakers & all)
tp go with it. Great idea about leaving the 'box'! That sounds like
the best option - thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 7 Nov 2006 04:24:08 -0800, "NAL" wrote:

Hi - I'm getting ready to remove an electrical box from the side of my
house and it's going to leave a 4-5 inch square hole in aluminum
siding. I don't have any extra siding, so what is the best way to fill
this to prevent moisture/critters/ etc. from entering the house, while
keeping it somewhat attractive? Thanks for all your help!

Depends on it's location and your ingenuity.

Hang a birdfeeder, hose reel, electrical cover over it, or just glue
a piece of siding over it that matches whats there.
..

Hole Patching In Siding: What To Use ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 October 29th 06 07:56 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
buying a house with Weyerhaeuser siding v Home Repair 5 March 22nd 04 04:49 AM
Cosmetic Aluminum 'Hole Plugging' Help Needed Jim Flanagan Metalworking 5 January 23rd 04 11:25 AM