Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacement window kit or new storm windows ?

I have an old house with double hung windows. I am thinking of
replacing the window sashes with with a replacement kit...new sashes
and runners. I am trying to decide if this is only a little better
than replacing the old aluminum storm window/screen combos with new
ones in conjuntion with using the 3M type window film in the winter
time. I think most of the air infiltration comes in from the un or
under insulated area around the window jamb behind the casing where the
weights and pulleys are located. My windows are alomost all 35x63.
Those replacement sashes are expensive. I can buy a lot of 3 M kits
for that money. Pros and Cons ? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

I too have an old house with lots of dbl hung windows and I've considered
the same options. The consensus from all the research I've done and advice
I've received is to replace the window only if it is beyond repair.
Otherwise, the best option is to repair, reglaze, repaint, and weatherstrip.
You save thousands of dollars and retain the original character of your
home.

Tom

"Teo2006" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old house with double hung windows. I am thinking of
replacing the window sashes with with a replacement kit...new sashes
and runners. I am trying to decide if this is only a little better
than replacing the old aluminum storm window/screen combos with new
ones in conjuntion with using the 3M type window film in the winter
time. I think most of the air infiltration comes in from the un or
under insulated area around the window jamb behind the casing where the
weights and pulleys are located. My windows are alomost all 35x63.
Those replacement sashes are expensive. I can buy a lot of 3 M kits
for that money. Pros and Cons ? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Teo2006" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old house with double hung windows. I am thinking of
replacing the window sashes with with a replacement kit...new sashes
and runners.

The 3M kits are good for renters that pay their own utilities. As a
homeowner, the best long term solution is to find and fix the problem. By
removing the sash, you can insulate the space where the counterweights are.
If you want to repair and keep the old sash, you can get spring loaded
counterweight replacements. Be sure you can get the sash to seal properly
and mate in the center with a good weather strip.

Replacements have the benefit of new technology. You can get double/triple
insulated glass, you can get windows that remove or tilt in for cleaning,
you get a very good seal, you can get built in screens and eliminate the
need for storm windows.