Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New furnace hums

Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've owned a couple Heil furnaces, 92% natural gas forced air, and both have
a small but detectable hum from the transformer. In both cases (the Heil I
installed 19 years ago and the Heil I installed last winter) the hum was
really only noticeable if you got up close to the cabinet.

Smarty

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Same with my year-old Lennox. Audible for a few feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:47:52 -0500, "Smarty" wrote:

I've owned a couple Heil furnaces, 92% natural gas forced air, and both have
a small but detectable hum from the transformer. In both cases (the Heil I
installed 19 years ago and the Heil I installed last winter) the hum was
really only noticeable if you got up close to the cabinet.

Thanks.

Damned if I remember a hum from the Carrier (actually a
Bryant) that we ripped out of her last spring. And I
was in the cabinet workin' on it a couple times in
it's last (20th) year.

Hope you've had good service from both Heil units.

Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

It doesn't know the words?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had superb service from my first Heil, which was one of the very first 92%
furnaces offered 20 years ago when I installed it. The new Heil was put in
last year to avoid surprising repairs or failures when I am out of town
traveling (I am now retired) and I just hope it will be as good as the last
Heil. It seems more complex and thus more likely to fail, something I was
disappointed to see. I bought a 2 stage unit hoping to save some fuel and
electric costs, but this has not proved to be the case, so I wind up with
more complexity and no apparent savings. It does run quieter however, since
it is mostly on the lower speed blower and lower output burner stage. The
new igniter system is my biggest concern.

The hum in both of my units is really not a big deal. I can not hear it
elsewhere in the house. There may be a way to get the hum reduced in yours
if it is really objectionable. Either replace the transformer, or put it on
vibration isolators of some type (rubber grommets or some spacers to isolate
the noise from getting into the furnace cabinet).

Smarty

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:47:52 -0500, "Smarty" wrote:

I've owned a couple Heil furnaces, 92% natural gas forced air, and both
have
a small but detectable hum from the transformer. In both cases (the Heil I
installed 19 years ago and the Heil I installed last winter) the hum was
really only noticeable if you got up close to the cabinet.

Thanks.

Damned if I remember a hum from the Carrier (actually a
Bryant) that we ripped out of her last spring. And I
was in the cabinet workin' on it a couple times in
it's last (20th) year.

Hope you've had good service from both Heil units.

Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:15:13 -0500, "Smarty" wrote:

I had superb service from my first Heil, which was one of the very first 92%
furnaces offered 20 years ago when I installed it. The new Heil was put in
last year to avoid surprising repairs or failures when I am out of town
traveling (I am now retired) and I just hope it will be as good as the last
Heil. It seems more complex and thus more likely to fail, something I was
disappointed to see. I bought a 2 stage unit hoping to save some fuel and
electric costs, but this has not proved to be the case, so I wind up with
more complexity and no apparent savings.

Part of what I had to size up when I spec'd my mew unit.
I got single stage.

It does run quieter however, since
it is mostly on the lower speed blower and lower output burner stage. The

Mine is noisy, but it doesn't much bother me (yet).

new igniter system is my biggest concern.

I gotta extra glow plug outa the contractor.

The hum in both of my units is really not a big deal. I can not hear it
elsewhere in the house. There may be a way to get the hum reduced in yours
if it is really objectionable. Either replace the transformer, or put it on
vibration isolators of some type (rubber grommets or some spacers to isolate
the noise from getting into the furnace cabinet).

The only reason it bothered me was, I didn't know if it
was normal, and I needed to find out well before the
warranty expired. Issue resolved.

Thanks,
Puddin'

.. .

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man posted for all of us...

Hi,

I got a new Heil (ICP) furnace for my little brick
bungalow last spring. Heats OK (so far).

With Tstat calling for inaction, it sits there and hums.
I flip the shutoff switch and the hum dies.

Gotta be the transformer? I don't recall a transformer
hum with previous furnaces.

Is this normal? Doe it make a difference if the
transformer is Honeywell?

Thx,
Puddin'

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.