Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AFCI buzzing?

Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Probably, my Square D QO AFCIs make a noticeable whine rather like a
switching power supply which is probably what it is.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:45:06 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

IMHO, questions that come to mind:

1. Are you a qualified person for working on service panel, if not
get one.
2. Are the contact surfaces clean, undamaged, and in full contact?

Some AFCI's I've installed have a 'electric' hum. Which can be made
very loud depending on the panel's 'solidness'. If the service panal
is loose, might want to make sure that is fixed as well.

Tell us what you decide on doing...

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

IMHO, questions that come to mind:

1. Are you a qualified person for working on service panel, if not
get one.

If by that you mean do I have the necessary skills, tools, and
intelligence to install a circuit breaker without making a dog's
breakfast of it, then yes. If you are asking am I officially a master
electrician, then no. But I'm not about to pay someone for a job so simple.

2. Are the contact surfaces clean, undamaged, and in full contact?

yes, they do all appear to be so.

Some AFCI's I've installed have a 'electric' hum. Which can be made
very loud depending on the panel's 'solidness'. If the service panal
is loose, might want to make sure that is fixed as well.

It's definitely not loud, just audible. I didn't know if it was normal
for them to make any noise at all, as all other breakers I've installed
are dead silent except when they're actually tripping. But it appears
that this is normal from the responses I've received so I won't worry
any more about it. It just seemed like a good idea to add it since a)
it's cheap and easy and oh, yeah, required by code now and b) the
circuit that serves the question is mostly 60 year old wire, so any
extra protection is probably a Good Thing.

I still haven't started running my ground wires yet to the two original
receptacle circuits still existing, but I may get started tonight if
SWMBO feels up to working the fish tape. What a fun way to spend a
Friday evening, but I would like to start setting up bookshelves etc. at
some point in the near future.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

CALL A PRIEST! You are in danger of the eternal....

Oh, wait, it's a breaker. Nevermind.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned
on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this
normal?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh I agree with installing AFCI. My house was build in 1993, so none
were installed when I moved in. So far all the bedrooms are covered,
and as money becomes available, guess that depends on the results of
Nov 7th, I will be purchasing more to protect other areas of my house.

Did you have to lenthen the 'neutrals' and if so, how did you do it?

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel writes:
Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned
on, there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this
normal?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Haven't had any buzzing with Leviton brand. So either bad device or
bad brand/model
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

Hi,
Something loose internally or xternally.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

Nope, the neutrals were landed on terminal strips that lined up with
the breakers so there wasn't much moving about to be done. Had I had
to do so I would probably have just used a wire nut unless there's a
better method for doing this.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Bought a Siemens AFCI breaker off fleaBay for the bedroom circuit,
installed it last night. All appears to be well, except when turned on,
there's a faint audible buzzing coming from the breaker. Is this normal?

thanks,

nate

Hi,
Something loose internally or externally. Or verloaded.

AFCI Trips when refrigerator on another curcuit turns on Ed Home Repair 10 June 7th 19 02:28 AM
AFCI Fuse - is so annoying Zean Smith Home Repair 15 November 11th 05 10:45 PM
Buzzing boiler! mclannahan UK diy 3 May 13th 05 12:00 PM
60 Hz buzzing noise coming from floor Jonny R Home Repair 11 June 19th 04 09:56 PM
Transformer is Buzzing - barry martin Home Repair 1 October 31st 03 09:56 AM