Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Time Remaining on These Shingles?

I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Al Bundy wrote:
I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

If the bet was 6 years, I'd take the "over". Unless you're someplace
with really bad weather or get his by a major storm, I'd go find
something else to worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote

I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

If you're around Newark, you may get 6+ hours, errrrrrrr, years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

6-10 years. Shingle curling can be a sign of poor attic ventilation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

I'd vote on the higher side. None are broken yet, a good sign. Any idea
how old they are? Most three tab have a 15 or 20 year expected life. If you
are nearing that, I'd re-do them in three years or so rather than wait for a
leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling.
I've also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

6-10 years. Shingle curling can be a sign of poor attic ventilation.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Regarding poor attic ventilation, the shoe fits. In the mid-south. 90
and often better daily for two months. Hell, it's been 90 at 11pm on
occasion. I've only had the place a year on a foreclosure. Attic area is
only 1/2 of the house. One side is vaulted ceiling. Because of this
there is only one gable vent. No cross ventalation. It does have soffit
vents along entire eve length. No ridge venting.

I've seen the many posts pro and con about power vents but figured in
this situation a gable vent would be beneficial and installed one.
Certainly can't hurt except for the power to run it.

Thanks again,
Al...

Further opinions/comments are still very much welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news:YV32h.234586$1T2.152395
@pd7urf2no:

Al Bundy wrote:
I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling. I've
also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

Hi,
They are still in good shape. No need to worry yet.
BTW, how old is it?

Unknown. Bought as is foreclosure from HUD.