Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How Much Time Remaining on These Shingles?

wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
I see these shingles are starting to show signs of corner curling.
I've also seen shingles that are 20x worse and still don't leak.

Can I get some guesstimates on remaining life?
suspect I'll get responses from 6mos to 6yrs!

http://i12.tinypic.com/2rxfdyo.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4fz93iw.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4bohz4h.jpg

6-10 years. Shingle curling can be a sign of poor attic ventilation.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Regarding poor attic ventilation, the shoe fits. In the mid-south. 90
and often better daily for two months. Hell, it's been 90 at 11pm on
occasion. I've only had the place a year on a foreclosure. Attic area is
only 1/2 of the house. One side is vaulted ceiling. Because of this
there is only one gable vent. No cross ventalation. It does have soffit
vents along entire eve length. No ridge venting.

I've seen the many posts pro and con about power vents but figured in
this situation a gable vent would be beneficial and installed one.
Certainly can't hurt except for the power to run it.

Thanks again,
Al...

Further opinions/comments are still very much welcome.