Posted to alt.home.repair

Default florescent bulbs and timers?

i have 3 different areas i want to use florescent bulbs, two of which are w/
timers, but the box says not to use them w/ timers. these are lower wattage
than the regular bulbs that are in use now. why can't these florescent
bulbs be use here?

the other place i want to use one is outside in an inclosed fixture,under an
awning covering the back door, is this a suitable place for a florescent
bulb?

mike............

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have 3 different areas i want to use florescent bulbs, two of which are

w/
timers, but the box says not to use them w/ timers. these are lower

wattage
than the regular bulbs that are in use now. why can't these florescent
bulbs be use here?

Timers often use electronic switching which is not compatable
with "reactive" loads such as flourescent ballasts. If you can
find a timer with relay switching, it should work fine.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
the other place i want to use one is outside in an inclosed fixture,under
an
awning covering the back door, is this a suitable place for a florescent
bulb?

Sure. All our outdoor lights (ten in all) are florescent. All ten draw about
as much power as one 100-watt incandescent bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have 3 different areas i want to use florescent bulbs, two of which are
w/
timers, but the box says not to use them w/ timers. these are lower
wattage
than the regular bulbs that are in use now. why can't these florescent
bulbs be use here?

the other place i want to use one is outside in an inclosed fixture,under
an
awning covering the back door, is this a suitable place for a florescent
bulb?

Some timers are suitable for fluorescent, some are not; check the package.
Some fluorescent bulbs can be use outside other can't; check the package.
That said, I have use bulbs that can't be used outdoors outside and they
have worked fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have 3 different areas i want to use florescent bulbs, two of which

are
w/
timers, but the box says not to use them w/ timers. these are lower

wattage
than the regular bulbs that are in use now. why can't these florescent
bulbs be use here?

Timers often use electronic switching which is not compatable
with "reactive" loads such as flourescent ballasts. If you can
find a timer with relay switching, it should work fine.

Bob

the timers i want to use are the regular lamp timers, where the colck dial
spins and there are little pegs that are set at the chosen time, which to me
seem like little on/off switches. would this type be ok for the bulbs??

mike..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Those almost certainly are mechanical switches and should work fine.
Do they make a significant "click" as they switch? If so, they should
be mechanical.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message news:Xy41h.4240
Some fluorescent bulbs can be use outside other can't; check the package.
That said, I have use bulbs that can't be used outdoors outside and they
have worked fine.

Some flourescent bulbs will start slowly in cold temps.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob F wrote:

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I sure have experience with one of those. They make a click - almost a
"thunk". They are OK with fluorescents.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:15:35 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein wrote:

the timers i want to use are the regular lamp timers, where the colck dial
spins and there are little pegs that are set at the chosen time, which to me
seem like little on/off switches. would this type be ok for the bulbs??

I have used the clock dial/peg type (makes a click at on/off) of timer for
many (close to 30) years to operate flourescent fixtures on my various
aquariums. I am currently using a digital timer (no click), which has
performed just fine for the past year or so, to operate 4 36" flourescent
fixtures (30W bulb/fixture) on my 125 gallon tank. The fixtures (and tank)
are about 2 years old, so older flourescents may not work with the digital
timer. I got the digital timer after my 10+ year old clock type timer died.
It had been used on several tanks over the years and I put it on the 125
gallon tank when I set it up where it served until it just quit working a
little over a year ago - I figure that the contacts just wore out as the dial
was still turning.

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.