Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Question - Galvanized and Copper

Hello,

I had a question/concern. I have a 60 year old house that I recently
had the majority of the plumbing replaced on. The house is small with
just one bathroom/kitchen/spicket/utility tub to supply. This weekend,
I had everything replaced but the horizontal pipes, since they were all
in good shape and made the job much quicker/easier (cheaper). The
charge was only $1200 to install the new copper, and now I'm a bit
concerned after reading about connecting galvanized pipes to copper.
There are four spots where this was connected directly - the kitchen
(hot/cold) and the shower (hot/cold). The water main and the water
heater both have dielectric unions to prevent the materials from
corroding.

Anyway, everything is working great and in most areas, the pressure is
noticably better. I've read in some spots that connecting the two
metals will cause the galvanized pipes to deteriorate quickly, even if
the entire plumbing system is grounded. I have seen several cases like
mine where the connection was done in the same fashion (directly), but
reading phrases like "rapidly speeds corrosion" has me a bit nervous
and wanting to just have the remaining pieces converted.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

Underground Copper Pipe in Shore Environment seagar Home Repair 0 September 6th 06 05:07 PM
copper or cpvc water pipes? Zootal Home Repair 30 August 14th 06 03:52 PM
Do copper and galvanized together = corosion? newsreader Home Repair 10 January 26th 06 10:56 PM
PEX Plumbing Question a Home Repair 9 June 13th 05 10:32 PM
plastic or copper plumbing? Alan Home Repair 41 February 18th 04 06:32 PM