Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wire measures apx 27volts

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any ideas about this.

You didn't pay your bill on time and the electric company cut off 3/4 of
your voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

digital meters are flkey try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt
lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
digital meters are flkey try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt
lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

some thoughts:
who: you
what: low voltage or phantom voltage.
WHERE did you measure it? is there voltage on the wires? how about
upstream from the outlet or box feeding it?
WHEN did this problem first occur? [such as upon failure of an
appliance like a portable heater]
why: some AC may be floating your way from for example an old
flourescent ballast with a problem. in our 1910 building we find
occasional oddities related to old ungrounded circuits. our phantom is
usually around 6 VAC.
how: more meter readings required with one hand in pocket and other
hand holding onto your electrician, have him measure voltages inside
breaker panel and along the various outlets feeding toward your problem
outlet. further, try a portable GFI AC tester, and use GFI portables to
protect you and always a helper with a cell phone.
electrical faq see:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

I replaced the switch. It works fine now. Thanks to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Asked and answered MANY times! Sorry, you lose, buh bye, bring in the next
player Johnny.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:13 PM
Technique: wire preparation for a terminal block Zak Electronics Repair 12 March 21st 06 09:47 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM