DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wire measures apx 27volts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180247-wire-measures-apx-27volts.html)

[email protected] October 24th 06 02:59 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Toller October 24th 06 03:22 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any ideas about this.

You didn't pay your bill on time and the electric company cut off 3/4 of
your voltage.

[email protected] October 24th 06 03:29 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

digital meters are flkey:( try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt
lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

[email protected] October 24th 06 03:48 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

wrote:
digital meters are flkey:( try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt
lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.

[email protected] October 24th 06 04:04 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

Tony Hwang October 24th 06 04:11 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Hi,
That circuit is dead. Digital multi meter has high input impedance which
means it's way too sensitive. It's picking up stray ghost voltage.

mm October 24th 06 06:50 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

On 23 Oct 2006 19:48:51 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
digital meters are flkey:( try checking voltage by wiring a 100 watt
lamp as a tester, that will show whats really there

I used a 100-250v voltage tester with a light on it as well.

That has a neon light, though, doesn't it.

Hallerb means for you to use a real light bulb (incandescent), 100
watts, and see how brightly it glows.

Others would say to use a non-digital meter, that is one with a needle
that is not an FET VOM or a VTVM. FET meters and vaccuum tube volt
meter have high input impedance, like digital meters do, and I presume
the people here would say that all 3 are flakey. That is, a high
induced voltage, like 27 volts will be measured as 27 volts, even
though there is only a minuscule trace of available current. With
the other meters, with needles, the 27 volts will be drained off by
the meter itself, and the voltage will read zero.

buffalobill October 24th 06 07:56 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

some thoughts:
who: you
what: low voltage or phantom voltage.
WHERE did you measure it? is there voltage on the wires? how about
upstream from the outlet or box feeding it?
WHEN did this problem first occur? [such as upon failure of an
appliance like a portable heater]
why: some AC may be floating your way from for example an old
flourescent ballast with a problem. in our 1910 building we find
occasional oddities related to old ungrounded circuits. our phantom is
usually around 6 VAC.
how: more meter readings required with one hand in pocket and other
hand holding onto your electrician, have him measure voltages inside
breaker panel and along the various outlets feeding toward your problem
outlet. further, try a portable GFI AC tester, and use GFI portables to
protect you and always a helper with a cell phone.
electrical faq see:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

[email protected] October 25th 06 12:00 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

I replaced the switch. It works fine now. Thanks to all.

Tekkie® October 28th 06 01:52 AM

wire measures apx 27volts

posted for all of us...

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi
tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have
used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other
outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am
getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to
it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were
old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does
not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the
tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a
junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets
or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated
wiring.

Asked and answered MANY times! Sorry, you lose, buh bye, bring in the next
player Johnny.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.