Posted to alt.home.repair

Default vinyl siding

Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

I saw a very good documentry on vinyl siding on HBO. Might want to
check it out.

http://www.bluevinyl.org/animation.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

ok, i'll bite.

I just bought my first house, an old farmhouse on a fieldstone
basement. the house was converted to 2 rentals ten years ago, and was
vinyl sided.

well, the metal roof leaks, next spring it is going to be replaced, but
i wonder how long it has been leaking, and how much dammage is done to
the internal walls. also, no one has done any maintenance on the
feildstone, and a lot of the mortar is crumbling, a winter project for
me (no loose stones, no structural collapse, I think i got there in
time)

a lot of the gutters are missing, and the north side has some green
stuff growing on it (lichen? light moss?) that can be washed off. the
sioding looks ok, but there are 1 or 2 places where something impacted
and broke a hole in the vinyl. no way to repair without tearing a lot
of stuff off and then replacing, but I think i'll just patch them
(ugly, but I'll live with it)

Bought the house for the price that most flipped houses get for
proffit, so i am not complaining, financing put's payments under rent,
and it is bigger than most houses (2200+ sq ft)

would i think about vinyl over brick? no. the way the field stone
looks, I'd say you'd have to re-point the brick in 15-20 years, and
then you'd have to remove all the siding, and by that time you may not
be able to find replacement pieces for any "oops" at that time.

Vinyl over wood? maybe, depends on roof overhang size, leakage
potenital, hidden dammage potential, and other factors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" writes:

Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?
How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

I love it.
Got ours 17 years ago.
Still looks new.

Not all vinyl siding looks the same.
Here's a shot of the back of our house:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

That particular color and texture looks clean
for years. I've pressure washed the house once in 17
years. It didn't really need it except on the north for some
algae.

One weakness, some of the trim broke in a hail storm a few
years ago. The repairs were easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of siding and who makes it?
That looks pretty damn good!
I have Georga Pacific weather oak looks ok but your's is great!

On Oct 23, 8:46 pm, Dan Espen
wrote:
"Terry" writes:
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?
How about a brick home with vinyl trim?I love it.

Got ours 17 years ago.
Still looks new.

Not all vinyl siding looks the same.
Here's a shot of the back of our house:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

That particular color and texture looks clean
for years. I've pressure washed the house once in 17
years. It didn't really need it except on the north for some
algae.

One weakness, some of the trim broke in a hail storm a few
years ago. The repairs were easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

My house had it when built in 1978. Still looks good and if it stays the
same, will be good for another 25 - 30 years. Easy to maintain and no
painting. I'd do it again.

As for trim, I don't see why not. I used to do aluminum capping over wood,
but that was 30 years ago. Houses I did still look very good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raider Bill" writes:

What kind of siding and who makes it?
That looks pretty damn good!
I have Georga Pacific weather oak looks ok but your's is great!

That's Nailite "Cedar Shake".
The color is called Weathered White.
It's a thick vinyl.

Many people stand right next to it and don't know it's vinyl.
It costs more than plain vinyl siding.

On Oct 23, 8:46 pm, Dan Espen
wrote:
"Terry" writes:
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?
How about a brick home with vinyl trim?I love it.

Got ours 17 years ago.
Still looks new.

Not all vinyl siding looks the same.
Here's a shot of the back of our house:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html

That particular color and texture looks clean
for years. I've pressure washed the house once in 17
years. It didn't really need it except on the north for some
algae.

One weakness, some of the trim broke in a hail storm a few
years ago. The repairs were easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

My experience is that you don't want it if you live near water and have any
lights on at night. The light coming through the window or yard lights will
attract flying insects. These attract spiders which feed on the insects.
The result is small black "doo,doo" spots all over the siding. I have not
found anything short of sandpaper that will get the dots off. Other than
that, the only problem has been that weed whackers will make a mess out of
the corners if you hit the siding and the lawnmower will put rocks (and
walnuts) right through it.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
Who has it and likes it?
Who has it and dislikes it?

How about a brick home with vinyl trim?

I have had Alcoa vinyl for 17 years. Looks great.

A neighbor has metal on the side of his house. The paint is pealing off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich256" wrote in message

The paint is pealing off.

That must sound neat, like church bells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
The paint is pealing off.

That must sound neat, like church bells.

Hey, I checked that with a spelling checker:-). Really not that I
didn't know better. It is just that I am a rather fast typist and words
just come out without my thinking. When a word ends with "in" I
automatically add a "g".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich256" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
The paint is pealing off.

That must sound neat, like church bells.

Hey, I checked that with a spelling checker:-). Really not that I didn't
know better. It is just that I am a rather fast typist and words just
come out without my thinking. When a word ends with "in" I automatically
add a "g".

The "g" is OK, but the "a" made the chimes ring. Meantime, just sit back
peel a banana and listen to the bells peal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Rich256" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Rich256" wrote in message
The paint is pealing off.

That must sound neat, like church bells.

Hey, I checked that with a spelling checker:-). Really not that I didn't
know better. It is just that I am a rather fast typist and words just
come out without my thinking. When a word ends with "in" I automatically
add a "g".

The "g" is OK, but the "a" made the chimes ring. Meantime, just sit back
peel a banana and listen to the bells peal.

And just to be a little snitty about it...isn't the word "off" at the end of
sentence a little superfluous? Like where would the paint go when it peels
if not off? Now, what were we talking about, anyway? Did we answer the OPs
question?

Tom G

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Iggy wrote:
Since, apparently, no-one else has any spine or brains and doesn't want to
offend vinyl. I COMPLETELY DISLIKE IT and my "stuff" (being kind) is 4-years
newer than this question. Mine made it a "whopping" (horrible) 5-years of
annual hose-offs until it looked hideous, looked like the house had been
neglected for 30-years.

I don't have any treetops within 50-feet of the house and the house only has
low-level minor bushes out front, Sun hits all sides of the house. Vinyl DOES
NOT wash itself in the rain! I just spent Painting-Efforts to clean mine back
to new. FROM BRAND NEW TO DUMPY IN 5-YEARS!

So no, vinyl is only a mistake and should be banned from the market, due to so
much water waste and public nuisance eyesore on houses that don't wash
regularly or MAINTAIN the siding. Aluminum and Steel are THE BEST and beat
vinyl hands down.

You'll get 50-years of TRULY maintenance-free with Aluminum or Steel. And you
can re-paint those with a Metal Purposed spray paint (Krylon, Rustoleum,
Automotive, etc.) to get another 20-years per re-paint with no threat of the
siding being dried-out and ready to break away and kill someone, like the
vinyl crap. SIMPLE FACT, plastic dries out and then shatters, period...metal
doesn't.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-159186-.htm

Vinyl Siding losthenfound Home Repair 12 March 11th 06 02:44 AM
100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Alternatives to UGLY vinyl siding RB Home Repair 18 December 31st 03 07:26 AM
Vinyl windows and siding: need to make decision Pat Kiewicz Home Repair 1 July 10th 03 03:09 PM