Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sub Zero 550 water leak

dbikerwrote:
I have been having this problem sporatically for many months. Is it
caused by the drain tube freezing? What can I do about it?

DBI had 2 water leak problems. The first was the drain tube frezzing

and the water would overflow from the water trough inside the
refrigerator and run under under the crisper draws and then out on to
the kitchen floor. I fixed this by removing the drain pan and putting
a vacuum on the drian tube on the bottom and sucking a pice of string
down the drain tube from inside the refrig at the water trough. Then I
used the string to pull a thin pice of bare copper wire into the tube
and left it in. I left a few inches sticking out the bottom. Put the
drain pan back. Just enough heat conducts up the wire to keep the
tube from frezzing. I did that about 3 years ago and that never
happened again. It used to happen about once every 2 months. Oh yea.
You can only do this when the tube is not frozen. Let me know how you
make out. If yours is not leaking from inside and seams to be from
under the refrig get back to me and I will tell you about what I
thought was a water leak I had and how I resloved that. It is a
longer story than this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ronfelli, Lawrence wrote:
no wrote:

[...]

Ronfelli. I'd like to know about the second solution you mention above. My
dripping seems to be caused by a cold spot on the back of the fridge that
creates condensation which simply runs down the back and onto the floor.
It may also be coming out of the hole that the wires go through as that
spot is particularly rusty. Any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ronfelli, Barbara 43 wrote:
This worked for me.. I would have the service repair come to my home and free
up the drain tube and within a few months it would freeze again and I would be
scraping the ice...The new Sub Zero was about $11,000 so my help got on the
floor and fed the wire and it works,,,Thank you for the advice..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-156683-.htm

Help ! Water Heater Leak ! [email protected] Home Repair 13 September 14th 06 10:40 PM
Hot Water Recirculator Comfort Valve Inefficiencies Cost More Then An Outlet Install [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 12:13 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM