Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a straight line (when you can't draw one)

I'd seen a thread on this topic some time back - what seems to be
working for me, an avid non-painter, while painting walls at the
ceiling edge:

Those foam-rubber-on-a-stick cheap paintbrush-shaped applicator things.
I never thought they amounted to much, but they're perfect for this job
(they come in many widths; get a fairly wide one). Basically, put some
paint in a shallow tray. Dip the edge of one side of the applicator in
to get a small amount of paint along the entire edge (we're not looking
for volume coverage here). Lay the paint-laden edge just under the
desired spot and nudge it up carefully. Pull down and feather out paint
so no 'seams' will show under the main coat.

Note I'm not pulling the paint along the line, and I'm dipping with
every application - this is not the place to skimp on paint. It all
seems pretty obvious writing it down, but the main thing is the neat,
straight edge of the foam-rubber applicator. Takes a while, but I'm not
having to go back over mistakes with the other color, then doing it
again with the original, etc.

BTW, I find it helps to be standing on a sturdy platform - lets me get
close to my work, and I don't sweat teetering on a ladder while I'm
concentrating on being steady.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I don't know very many people that can draw a straight line, but I know
plenty of people, pros and amateurs, that can do a nice job of cutting
in with a brush or pad painter. Either of those would be faster than
the dip-swipe-dip-swipe routine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Generally the people who can't paint straight lines and feel the need to
used tape or edging devices or pads, simply aren't using the proper brush or
the proper technique. I get excellent lines and haven't used tape or pads
in years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
Generally the people who can't paint straight lines and feel the need to
used tape or edging devices or pads, simply aren't using the proper brush or
the proper technique. I get excellent lines and haven't used tape or pads
in years.

That is the answer most people who have a talent
in some area give to people who have little or no
talent in that area. Doesn't make any difference
if it is music, reading, carpentry, gardening,
etc. The talented always say anybody can do it.
The fact is that anybody can't; many, maybe most
can't even with lots of practice.

I can't draw a straight line free hand and I can't
paint a straight line. So I do the best I can,
wipe up the biggest mistakes and redraw, but the
line still isn't straight.

The best advice is do the best you can and if that
isn't good enough, get someone who can do it better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
jeffc wrote:
Generally the people who can't paint straight lines and feel the need to
used tape or edging devices or pads, simply aren't using the proper

brush or
the proper technique. I get excellent lines and haven't used tape or

pads
in years.

That is the answer most people who have a talent
in some area give to people who have little or no
talent in that area.

I would suggest that it's not an issue of talent. It's an issue of
skill - which you get be practicing, and watching how "experts"
do it. Learn to use a brush right and it all gets much easier.
If you don't try, you won't learn.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
Generally the people who can't paint straight lines and feel the need to
used tape or edging devices or pads, simply aren't using the proper brush
or the proper technique. I get excellent lines and haven't used tape or
pads in years.

That is the answer most people who have a talent in some area give to
people who have little or no talent in that area. Doesn't make any
difference if it is music, reading, carpentry, gardening, etc. The
talented always say anybody can do it.

Well first of all I never mentioned talent. And second I didn't say anybody
can do it. I'm not talented, but I can do it simply because I practiced it.
The same reason I can solder a plumbing joint, put up drywall, or lay tile.

The fact is that anybody can't; many, maybe most can't even with lots of
practice.

I seriously doubt that, but probably a few can't.

I can't draw a straight line free hand and I can't paint a straight line.

Well I can't paint a straight line either. I'm talking about painting up
against door frames and wall corners. Some people wonder about those
"silly" art paintings that are nothing more than a black circle on a white
background or something. It's art because someone painted that perfect
circle freehand! But we don't need to do that.