Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trane 13i TXV Replacement

I have a relatively new Trane 13i - only 3 years old. I have a couple
of questions about it.

First, I'm having cooling problems. A tech came out, and said that he
suspected a problem with the TXV valve, but would have to come back
when it was warmer (tomorrow). He said several things:

1. That there was getting low suction pressure.
2. He adjusted the Freon, but could not get it above 32 degrees.
3. He said that they had been replacing a lot of a certain kind of TXV
in this unit. If it was the TXV, he would also have to replace the
coil (he said that the replacement would include both of these items)
4. Even though the part was under warranty, he would charge $600 to do
the replacement.

Does this seem right? Do you normally replace a coil, or any other
part, when you swap the TXV? I have heard that the Trane has this
valve fairly accessable - you take down the Freon, pull the valve,
charge with Nitrogen, braze the new part back in, and then charge the
freon again. Sounds like a fairly straightforward effort.

Also, I've seen on other sites, that you normally replace the drier
when you swap out the TXV. True?

Next problem - can anyone tell me what the proper size of the copper
tubing should be, between the fan unit in the basement, and the
compressor outside? I actually had a second unit installed in my
upstairs (not a trane), and the service guy on the second unit asked me
if the Trane installer had replaced the tubing when he installed the
Trane (the trane was a replacement for an old contractor grade unit
that I replaced). The reason he asked, was that he said that the
copper piping was too small of a diameter for that High efficiency
unit, and that with the restrictive, smaller tubing, I wouldn't get
anywhere near the correct SEER. How do I find out the correct tubing
diameter for this unit (its an RXC0255hpA0).

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Homey" wrote in news:1161148108.707211.84820
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have a relatively new Trane 13i - only 3 years old. I have a couple
of questions about it.

First, I'm having cooling problems. A tech came out, and said that he
suspected a problem with the TXV valve, but would have to come back
when it was warmer (tomorrow). He said several things:

1. That there was getting low suction pressure.
2. He adjusted the Freon, but could not get it above 32 degrees.
3. He said that they had been replacing a lot of a certain kind of TXV
in this unit. If it was the TXV, he would also have to replace the
coil (he said that the replacement would include both of these items)
4. Even though the part was under warranty, he would charge $600 to do
the replacement.

Is this a factory authorized Trane repair shop? If not and labor is
suppose to be covered as well, that's probably why he wants to charge
you. Because Trane will not pay him. If it is a Trane shop and you think
it's all suppose to be covered, call Trane for a clarification.