Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mud-jacking and re-surfacing a concrete sidewalk

My front sidewalk is about 40 years old, and is pretty much one big
slab from the front porch to the driveway. It's fallen as much as
three inches in one corner, which means that rain and melting snow
puddle all the time. Also, the surface of the concrete is pretty bad,
probably from all of the ice-melting agents the previous owners likely
used to deal with the ice build up from the puddling. However, the
slab has no cracks in it.

On one side of the slab is a big brick planter, which I'd like to keep.
With today's price of concrete, I'm wondering if it's worth it to jack
the slab up and refinish the top? Also, I heard of a process that uses
Urethane foam instead of mud to jack the slab, apparently it results in
smaller holes and less settling. Any experience here on this issue?
And any suggestions on the topping to use?

I'm in a cold climate (Northern Alberta, Canada) so frost heave is
always a problem (though this problem is probably more related to
settling.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

maurice wrote:
My front sidewalk is about 40 years old, and is pretty much one big
slab from the front porch to the driveway. It's fallen as much as
three inches in one corner, Also, the surface of the concrete is pretty bad,
probably from all of the ice-melting agents the previous owners likely
used to deal with the ice build up from the puddling. However, the
slab has no cracks in it.

On one side of the slab is a big brick planter, which I'd like to keep.
With today's price of concrete, I'm wondering if it's worth it to jack
the slab up and refinish the top? Also, I heard of a process that uses
Urethane foam instead of mud to jack the slab, apparently it results in
smaller holes and less settling. Any experience here on this issue?
And any suggestions on the topping to use?

I'm in a cold climate (Northern Alberta, Canada) so frost heave is
always a problem (though this problem is probably more related to
settling.

i don't have any experience with the mud jacking or resurfacing but
considering the age and condition of your walk I bet most posters will
suggest that you replace it. 40 years is good service for a sidewalk
and you will have a good opportunity to improve upon the old one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"maurice" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Concrete gets its hardest at 100 years old and all concrete cracks.

Slab jacking can get expensive if you're wanting to keep what you got
instead of a tearout and replacement.

You didn't mention the square feet of your sidewalk aka "one big slab", nor
how far off grade the slab is where it has fallen, both variables effecting
a good answer for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nowforsale wrote:
Concrete gets its hardest at 100 years old and all concrete cracks.

Slab jacking can get expensive if you're wanting to keep what you got
instead of a tearout and replacement.

You didn't mention the square feet of your sidewalk aka "one big slab", nor
how far off grade the slab is where it has fallen, both variables effecting
a good answer for you.

I've priced out concrete replacement vs. slab jacking, and the jacking
is lots less - roughly $1000 vs. $4000. However, this doesn't include
the topping process, and I'm also not sure if this is as good a fix as
new concrete. As stated earlier, part of my problem is that I don't
want to have to rebuild the attached planter, which is brick and
complements the entranceway nicely. We're in a booming economy here
right now, and it's tough enough to get a concrete contractor to pour a
small pad, let alone a competent and reliable bricklayer.

The slab is roughly 20' x 8', with one joint in the middle and the
brick planter on top of the concrete along one edge. It has settled as
one big piece, with no apparent cracks. The settling ranges from 1" at
the highest point to about 3" at the lowest point.

I have the habit of selling my house every few years when I find a
suitable (read: fixer-upper) replacement. I like to leave things in
good repair for the next owner, and while the sidewalk is still
serviceable, I think it would improve my curb appeal and be a nice
upgrade to fix this problem.

Hope that describes the issue a bit more clearly. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd even it out however you want, and slabjacking (aka mudjacking) will
probably work.

(Where mudjacking doesn't work worth a **** is inside a house, like if
your slab has cracked and settled because the bathtub drain had come
apart years ago and the bathtub had been draining under the ****
foundation for heaven knows how long.)

Sidewalk concrete patch Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 April 12th 06 07:29 PM
Jacking up a house DanRB Home Repair 9 December 5th 05 12:37 PM
Q> House Jacking? barry martin Home Repair 0 September 5th 04 12:46 AM
Q> House Jacking? Henry Home Repair 3 September 4th 04 07:34 PM
Cost of jacking up a house. LCD3 Home Repair 5 October 30th 03 11:09 PM