barry martin

Default Q> House Jacking?

Henry:

H Anyone have any experience with house jacking. I'm going to be trying to
H figure out which is cheaper, jacking up the house about 6 inches or having
H the basement floor excavated (It's about a six inch slab).
H What are the pros and cons of each?

House jacking would probably be cheaper, though there was a problem a
couple of weeks ago with one locally: somehow the house 'slipped' into
the basement that was being created from the crawlspace.

You probably will also have to "stretch" electrical, data (telephone,
television, etc.), plumbing (water, sewer and gas), HVAC (ductwork) as
your house will now be 6" or so higher. (I'd probably go with the
"so" == add a course of cement blocks?)

If you go the dig-out-the-floor method I would probably stay several
inches from the current floor and any supports; the slab under the
furnace could be even as the one under the water heater. The furnace
doesn't have much weight but I wouldn't want to disturb the walls of
the basement as they're supporting the weight of the house.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Please don't touch the guest towels.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *