Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default aluminum tape

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
I've heard people mention using aluminum tape instead of duck tape
on exhaust vents. Trouble is, does it really make a difference over
duck tape. I notice that duck tape doesn't do squat for exhaust
vents - it just wrinkles up and shrivels away.

Also, what does this stuff look like and is it available from the
Borgs? Last time I looked, somewhat half-assed, I only saw duck
tape.

Duct tape is ok for temporary uses but for long term use you need
the real thing. You will usually find it in the heating and air
conditioning section, not with the regular tape. It will be more
expensive and you will need to peal off a layer off the adhesive as
you use it. As noted if you are working with the vent from a fuel
burning
heating device (not like a dryer or furnace duct), you may need a
different material.

--
Joseph Meehan

Naw, its just for the furnace exhaust and the hot water heater exhaust
vents.

I was referring to those kind of exhaust. When I wrote furnace duct I
was referring to the warm air delivery ducts that bring the heated air to
the rooms. The Dryer duct is a little different as it does include the
exhaust, but it is mixed with a lot of excess room air so it is far
cooler than a typical furnace exhaust.

You do need the even more expensive tape for a furnace or water heater
exhaust.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of device would be burning too hot
for aluminum tape? Fireplace insert or something similar?

It is not the aluminum that is a problem, but the adhesive that will
be damaged and fail.

--
Joseph Meehan

Damn, well I guess I'll go do some more research then.

It seems to me that high temperature vents from gas appliances should be
secure and air tight enough to not need any taping. There are codes for
these things and I don't think taping is a permissible method of securing or
stopping leaks.

Don Young