Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old pool losing water

I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.
The pool has a concrete(Gunnite) bottom but fiberglass sides. It is 20'
by 40' so an inch a night is alot of water.
I am thinking of filling it in if I cannot find out what is wrong. I
know that the plumbing is good but the skimmers do not work so we
plugged them last year. That means I have to clean it weekly.
Any suggestions? My pool guy says that we could start digging to find
leaks in the filter line but it may not be the issue.
I live in a suburb of Chicago so three months of pool time is not much
for this pool.
If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Time to fill it in. The drain on your wallet and time will be continuous
and perpetual otherwise. Your true cost per swim must be in the $100s.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:
Why not just let it drain ? When it stops going down, you have just
passed
the leak....

At that point you can make up your mind whether you have a small
hole
to plug or major maintenance.......

A swimming pool is a hole in the ground that you must throw money
and labor into on a weekly basis..... However, it may be cheap to fix
and
add value to your property........

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

must admit, I agree with...

Andy in Eureka, Texas.

I'm British, and you'd need to be mad to have an outdoor pool here, but
i'm still jealous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
s.com...
I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.

If the caulk stopped the leak, that should be a big clue. The leak is
somewhere they caulked. Letting it leak till it stops is not a bad idea
to locate the leak.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:49:33 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.

If the caulk stopped the leak, that should be a big clue. The leak is
somewhere they caulked. Letting it leak till it stops is not a bad idea
to locate the leak.

Bob

Right. So just ask the guys where they stuck their caulk and see if
they stuck their caulks in any holes.