DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old pool losing water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179382-old-pool-losing-water.html)

[email protected] October 16th 06 02:46 AM

Old pool losing water

I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.
The pool has a concrete(Gunnite) bottom but fiberglass sides. It is 20'
by 40' so an inch a night is alot of water.
I am thinking of filling it in if I cannot find out what is wrong. I
know that the plumbing is good but the skimmers do not work so we
plugged them last year. That means I have to clean it weekly.
Any suggestions? My pool guy says that we could start digging to find
leaks in the filter line but it may not be the issue.
I live in a suburb of Chicago so three months of pool time is not much
for this pool.
If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Richard J Kinch October 16th 06 05:18 AM

Old pool losing water

writes:

If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Time to fill it in. The drain on your wallet and time will be continuous
and perpetual otherwise. Your true cost per swim must be in the $100s.

[email protected] October 16th 06 09:45 AM

Old pool losing water

On 15 Oct 2006 18:46:40 -0700, wrote:

I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.
The pool has a concrete(Gunnite) bottom but fiberglass sides. It is 20'
by 40' so an inch a night is alot of water.
I am thinking of filling it in if I cannot find out what is wrong. I
know that the plumbing is good but the skimmers do not work so we
plugged them last year. That means I have to clean it weekly.
Any suggestions? My pool guy says that we could start digging to find
leaks in the filter line but it may not be the issue.
I live in a suburb of Chicago so three months of pool time is not much
for this pool.
If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Just let the water drain, then get some dynamite and blow it up, or
hire a guy with a dozer and destroy it. After that, buy a new pool.
No big deal. A few bucks and you will have a brand new leak proof
pool.

Andy October 16th 06 11:59 AM

Old pool losing water

Andy writes:
Why not just let it drain ? When it stops going down, you have just
passed
the leak....

At that point you can make up your mind whether you have a small
hole
to plug or major maintenance.......

A swimming pool is a hole in the ground that you must throw money
and labor into on a weekly basis..... However, it may be cheap to fix
and
add value to your property........

Andy in Eureka, Texas

willshak October 16th 06 02:58 PM

Old pool losing water

wrote:
I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.
The pool has a concrete(Gunnite) bottom but fiberglass sides. It is 20'
by 40' so an inch a night is alot of water.
I am thinking of filling it in if I cannot find out what is wrong. I
know that the plumbing is good but the skimmers do not work so we
plugged them last year. That means I have to clean it weekly.
Any suggestions? My pool guy says that we could start digging to find
leaks in the filter line but it may not be the issue.
I live in a suburb of Chicago so three months of pool time is not much
for this pool.
If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Break up the gunnite bottom with a sledgehammer. Fill the pool with fill
dirt to about 6 - 8 inches from the top. Fill the rest with screened
topsoil. You'll have a nice flat area for a garden or lawn games,
surrounded by a walkway.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

willshak October 16th 06 07:32 PM

Old pool losing water

HeyBub wrote:
Willshak wrote:

wrote:

I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.
The pool has a concrete(Gunnite) bottom but fiberglass sides. It is
20' by 40' so an inch a night is alot of water.
I am thinking of filling it in if I cannot find out what is wrong. I
know that the plumbing is good but the skimmers do not work so we
plugged them last year. That means I have to clean it weekly.
Any suggestions? My pool guy says that we could start digging to find
leaks in the filter line but it may not be the issue.
I live in a suburb of Chicago so three months of pool time is not
much for this pool.
If I want to get rid of it, what are my options?

Break up the gunnite bottom with a sledgehammer.

Why?

Drainage, so you don't have a swamp in the pool.

[email protected] October 16th 06 09:56 PM

Old pool losing water

must admit, I agree with...

Andy in Eureka, Texas.

I'm British, and you'd need to be mad to have an outdoor pool here, but
i'm still jealous.

Bob F October 17th 06 05:49 AM

Old pool losing water

wrote in message
s.com...
I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.

If the caulk stopped the leak, that should be a big clue. The leak is
somewhere they caulked. Letting it leak till it stops is not a bad idea
to locate the leak.

Bob

[email protected] October 17th 06 10:53 AM

Old pool losing water

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:49:33 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have an old pool that loses about an inch per night. We had it
caulked this year and that stopped the leakage for most of the summer
but toward the end it started to lose water again.

If the caulk stopped the leak, that should be a big clue. The leak is
somewhere they caulked. Letting it leak till it stops is not a bad idea
to locate the leak.

Bob

Right. So just ask the guys where they stuck their caulk and see if
they stuck their caulks in any holes.