Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What snowblower/thrower to buy

OK,
It's about time I take the leap. Almost every winter, I
would be snow bounded at home for a few days to a week long
since I moved to Maryland. I plan to buy a snow thrower
this year. I have a 400x10 feet driveway with a steep slope
in some spot.

Would 6 hp be sufficient for my zone or should I go for
higher power? We only get moderate snow here. I am looking
for

- Easy start (This is number one for me. I bought a
chainsaw a few years ago and only used it one season.
Couldn't get it started ever since).

- Easy maneuver (for a 58 going on 59 year old but still
going strong woman)

- Wide enough sweep so that only two rounds would clear a
10 feet wide road.

I am not looking for spending lots of money for top of the
line since I would only use it a few times a year. I have
been tracking prices for Craftsman at Sears. But still
hesitating since a number of posters here compared Craftsman
unfavorably over Toro. I don't mind owning a "crappier" but
cheaper equipment if it can do decent job for a 58 going 59
year old woman.

Thanks in advance for your responses
pac

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PacKat" wrote in message

- Wide enough sweep so that only two rounds would clear a 10 feet wide
road.

I am not looking for spending lots of money for top of the line since I
would only use it a few times a year.

You just eliminated about 90% of all snow blowers. That means you need a
30" wide blower with enough capacity to take a full bite. That puts you up
into the 10 hp range and makes it harder to handle. Plan on making 3 passes
each direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"PacKat" wrote in message

- Wide enough sweep so that only two rounds would clear a 10 feet wide
road.

I am not looking for spending lots of money for top of the line since I
would only use it a few times a year.

You just eliminated about 90% of all snow blowers. That means you need a
30" wide blower with enough capacity to take a full bite. That puts you up
into the 10 hp range and makes it harder to handle. Plan on making 3 passes
each direction.

Well, that depends. If she really means clear the whole 10ft width in
2 round trips, that's true. However, if she means to remove enough
snow to make it passable, then a 26" one will give her over an 8 1/2
foot width, which should be OK. If she wants more than that, then with
cost in mind, the best solution is probably going to be another pass,
which really wont take all that long.

As for HP, I have a Sears 5hp/26", which I've used in coastal NJ for 8
years and it's been fine for here. The biggest snowfall was higher
than the top of the front of the blower, where the snow enters and I
got through it pretty easily. It also does a good job at the mail
box, which is higher and tougher due to the wet snow plow mix. It's
been trouble free so far, just routine oil changes,

I'd recommend getting an electric start. And while I don't think you
need to spend a lot, I also would not try to get the cheapest one.
You're going to use it for many years and if you figure out how much
your saving by not having to pay to plow, it's well worth it to spend a
little more for something that will work well and last. She can also
look in the local papers or Ebay. Sometimes you can find a relatively
new one that someone is unloading because they are moving away from the
area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

400ft of drive, you should just hire a plow service, you dont say how
deep the snow is, or how wet and heavy. You may find out to late 6 hp is
to small and may with 400ft spend half a day doing it. Your local lawn
mower- commercial equipment supplier would realy direct you best, but
consider the cost of a service to a 5-6 yr or less life span of the unit
because you might just burn it out quickly by forcing a small unit to
overwork itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PacKat wrote:
OK,
It's about time I take the leap. Almost every winter, I
- Easy start (This is number one for me. I bought a
chainsaw a few years ago and only used it one season.
Couldn't get it started ever since).

- Easy maneuver (for a 58 going on 59 year old but still
going strong woman)

- Wide enough sweep so that only two rounds would clear a
10 feet wide road.

I am not looking for spending lots of money for top of the
line since I would only use it a few times a year. I
have

Thanks for the quick responses. This is really a great
group.

Cost is not that big a factor for me. The big factor is
ease of use (start and maneuvering).
400' may be a bit overestmated. Part of t he driveway is
not going to be critical. The only part that I will need to
get in and out is only about 200 feet. In that case I can
do 3 or even 4 trips.

So looks like it is going to be a 5.5 or 6 HP Craftsman from
Sears depend on the special sales they will offer in t he
near future. I might need their in home service, so e-bay
is out.

Thanks again for you'll responses.
pac

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Well, that depends. If she really means clear the whole 10ft width in
2 round trips, that's true. However, if she means to remove enough
snow to make it passable, then a 26" one will give her over an 8 1/2
foot width, which should be OK. If she wants more than that, then with
cost in mind, the best solution is probably going to be another pass,
which really wont take all that long.

She is in Maryland, so that may be OK. I'm in CT right near the MA border.
Sometimes it snows in December and the original snow stays until March and
continues to be added to. If it is deep, you tend to narrow over time so it
is best to start out clearing the full width.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PacKat" wrote in message
[...]

for ease of use and great reliability i'd have to recommend the machine i
have which is the Honda 7/24 Series. 7hp& 24" opening up front. it has
great snow throwing ability,even the heavy stuff and is easy to pull start.
my machine is about 5 years old and has never caused any trouble and starts
right up every time. it's a little pricier than the Sears and Home
Depot/Lowes models, but when i was shopping around i wanted something i knew
i could depend on and would not be in the shop every year or losing nuts and
bolts here and there. at your age, (no disrespect intended) this machine
will give you many years of solid service for little worry or concern about
getting all of that snow off your dirveway and is a breeze to use. this
model was avbailable with tires or tracks, i chose the tires and couldn't be
happier. you may want to look at the getting tracks if your slopes are
severe, the tracks may give you better traction going up those hills.

here's a link to Honda for you if you think the 724 is too small a path to
cut then the 928 Series may be up your alley, but for an extra 4", the price
may be quite a difference.

http://www.honda.ca/PowerEng/Snowblo...24/default.htm

here's a link i found while i was shopping around and can answer may
questions, provide some buying tips, safety tips and other info.

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

good luck and be careful,

mike...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to Lowes and get the Troy bilt 5.5hp 24" twostage. Light enough to
maneuver powerful enough to do the job. Electric start included. It
may take more passes than a larger one but still quicker than
shoveling. Remember , MTD makes most outdoor power equipment you find
atbig box stores. Sears, Troybilt, yardman, and many othersare
allbuiltby same company. I picked up a Troybilt thrower for $549 after
10% coupon. Sear has the exact same for $698

PacKat wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JerseyMike wrote:
"PacKat" wrote in message
[...]

Mike,
Nah, non disrespectful detcted. I went to the link you
provided. Love the one with track. Would be great fun to
use it. But the price is a bit high for something to use
only a few times a year. I don't get much snow In my area.
I guess Sears Craftsman or Lowes Troy build is sufficient
for my need. I hope Sears still maintain their reputation
when it comes to their workmanship.

here's a link to Honda for you if you think the 724 is too
small a
path to cut then the 928 Series may be up your alley, but
for an
extra 4", the price may be quite a difference.

http://www.honda.ca/PowerEng/Snowblo...24/default.htm

here's a link i found while i was shopping around and can
answer may
questions, provide some buying tips, safety tips and other
info.

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

good luck and be careful,

mike...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

With that size of driveway, I'd be looking for an atachment to a
riding lawn mower. Either a pusher blade, or blower. With 400 feet to
do, I can imagine that sit and drive device would be easier than a
walk behind.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"PacKat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snowblowers use considerable gasoline. So, you'll need a couple
gascans to feed your machine.

I used to work for Shears, and have little respect for them. If you
insist on Shears, get the MA, those folks get slightly better service
than cash calls.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"PacKat" wrote in message

Cost is not that big a factor for me. The big factor is
ease of use (start and maneuvering).
400' may be a bit overestmated. Part of t he driveway is
not going to be critical. The only part that I will need to
get in and out is only about 200 feet. In that case I can
do 3 or even 4 trips.

So looks like it is going to be a 5.5 or 6 HP Craftsman from
Sears depend on the special sales they will offer in t he
near future. I might need their in home service, so e-bay
is out.

Thanks again for you'll responses.
pac

Posted to alt.home.repair

Based on what I saw in 1996, I can say they have suffered greatly.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"PacKat" wrote in message
I hope Sears still maintain their reputation
when it comes to their workmanship.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PacKat" wrote in message
I hope Sears still maintain their reputation
when it comes to their workmanship.

Really? I'd hope not. IMO, most are horrid places to take anything for
repair. That is why most people in my area buy power equipment from the
John Deere, Cub Cadet, Stihl dealers. Everything comes assembled, set up,
test run, and they give you any instruction you may need.