Posted to alt.home.repair
JerseyMike JerseyMike is offline

Default What snowblower/thrower to buy

"PacKat" wrote in message
news:e8oYg.9691$gx6.8264@trnddc05...
OK,
It's about time I take the leap. Almost every winter, I
would be snow bounded at home for a few days to a week long
since I moved to Maryland. I plan to buy a snow thrower
this year. I have a 400x10 feet driveway with a steep slope
in some spot.

Would 6 hp be sufficient for my zone or should I go for
higher power? We only get moderate snow here. I am looking
for

- Easy start (This is number one for me. I bought a
chainsaw a few years ago and only used it one season.
Couldn't get it started ever since).

- Easy maneuver (for a 58 going on 59 year old but still
going strong woman)

- Wide enough sweep so that only two rounds would clear a
10 feet wide road.

I am not looking for spending lots of money for top of the
line since I would only use it a few times a year. I have
been tracking prices for Craftsman at Sears. But still
hesitating since a number of posters here compared Craftsman
unfavorably over Toro. I don't mind owning a "crappier" but
cheaper equipment if it can do decent job for a 58 going 59
year old woman.

Thanks in advance for your responses
pac

for ease of use and great reliability i'd have to recommend the machine i
have which is the Honda 7/24 Series. 7hp& 24" opening up front. it has
great snow throwing ability,even the heavy stuff and is easy to pull start.
my machine is about 5 years old and has never caused any trouble and starts
right up every time. it's a little pricier than the Sears and Home
Depot/Lowes models, but when i was shopping around i wanted something i knew
i could depend on and would not be in the shop every year or losing nuts and
bolts here and there. at your age, (no disrespect intended) this machine
will give you many years of solid service for little worry or concern about
getting all of that snow off your dirveway and is a breeze to use. this
model was avbailable with tires or tracks, i chose the tires and couldn't be
happier. you may want to look at the getting tracks if your slopes are
severe, the tracks may give you better traction going up those hills.

here's a link to Honda for you if you think the 724 is too small a path to
cut then the 928 Series may be up your alley, but for an extra 4", the price
may be quite a difference.

http://www.honda.ca/PowerEng/Snowblo...24/default.htm

here's a link i found while i was shopping around and can answer may
questions, provide some buying tips, safety tips and other info.

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

good luck and be careful,