Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is a two stud corner allowed in the irc?

i am building a double wall, super insulated house (this is a custom
home. this is what the owner wants so don't waste your time telling
me it's a dumb idea). since it has double 2x4 walls, i see no reason
to add a third stud for a sheetrock nailer on the ouside corners. but
it seems i have read that 3 studs in the corner were required by the
irc. anyone know if this is true.

yeah, i'll ask my building inspector eventually. finding out this way
is funner, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, the way I see it. Double walls. Having two or three studs in the
*outside* corner makes no difference for *sheetrock*. Isn't the sheetrock
going to be hung on the *inside* wall? I personally would install a third
stud, mostly for weight bearing and corner integrity. That last rafter
birdsmouth sitting on the top plate, right there at that corner, seems, imo,
an important spot. Geez...how much time and money can another stud cost? I
almost always overdo something, especially at corners and headers.
Perry
"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
i am building a double wall, super insulated house (this is a custom
home. this is what the owner wants so don't waste your time telling
me it's a dumb idea). since it has double 2x4 walls, i see no reason
to add a third stud for a sheetrock nailer on the ouside corners. but
it seems i have read that 3 studs in the corner were required by the
irc. anyone know if this is true.

yeah, i'll ask my building inspector eventually. finding out this way
is funner, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Perry Templeton wrote:
Well, the way I see it. Double walls. Having two or three studs in the
*outside* corner makes no difference for *sheetrock*. Isn't the sheetrock
going to be hung on the *inside* wall? I personally would install a third
stud, mostly for weight bearing and corner integrity. That last rafter
birdsmouth sitting on the top plate, right there at that corner, seems, imo,
an important spot. ...

I think you mistook "outside" here...w/ drywall, an "outside corner" is
the corner into a living space requiring a corner bead as as opposed to
an "inside corner" being in a room corner. The finish walls, as you
surmise, won't be an exterior wall outside corner, so these
aren't/won't be structural, simply nailing support for the sheetrock.

I don't know requirements, but certainly think a 2-stud inside corner
would be adequate w/ 16" stud spacing, anyway (and I don't think the
double-wall design is necessarily a bad idea at all, depending on the
area. May be overkill, but then again, if a homeowner wants a little
extra, why not?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree, and I *thought* about an outside corner inside the structure. In
that case, two studs would just be nailers or deadwood and hardly worth
questioning. But who knows? In the case of double walls, which is the weight
bearing and which is deadwood?
Perry

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...