Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rewiring and junction boxes

I have been rewiring a dining room in a 1930's home. In new
construction outlets are linked together by wires running horizontally
through the studs. I haven't been able to find any guidelines for how
to run wires when rewiring. The most logical way seems to be running
wire through floor joists underneath the room in the unfinished
basement. I have a couple of choices. I can run wire from outlet to
outlet, passing the wire under the floor, or I can wire to junction
boxes under each outelt with a wire extending to each outlet. The
latter would allow me to use less wire and fewer holes through the
joists. The first way would mean that I would use fewer junction
boxes. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either way? Anyone
know of any guidlines for rewiring? Most of the info I have found is
on wiring new construction.

Thanks