Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Fischer Tim Fischer is offline

Default Rewiring and junction boxes

"jimbob" wrote in message
ps.com...
or I can wire to junction
boxes under each outelt with a wire extending to each outlet. The
latter would allow me to use less wire and fewer holes through the
joists.

I don't understand the "fewer holes through the joists" point. From the
first outlet, you'd run a wire down through the floor, through any necessary
joists, to a point below the second outlet, where it would go up. You'd run
a 2nd wire from that outlet back down, through any necessary joists (which
shouldn't be the same ones as before) to the 3rd outlet, etc. The only
"extra wire" is the doubled run between the floor joists and the outlet -- a
few feet at most, which is insignficant in cost compared to junction boxes,
covers, and wire nuts you'd need for the other approach. I also think this
would be less labor intensive than the J-box approach, and more reliable
(less connections = better).

-Tim