Posted to alt.home.repair

Default carpet ripples

the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13 years
ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to ripple in spots.
someone told me to try and run an iron over the areas w/ a towel between the
iron and the carpet. is this something that will work or do i need a carpet
guy to comein and restretch it and retack it down?

thanks for any tips,

mike........

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JerseyMike" wrote:
the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13 years
ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to ripple in spots.
someone told me to try and run an iron over the areas w/ a towel between the
iron and the carpet. is this something that will work or do i need a carpet
guy to comein and restretch it and retack it down?

Ironing will likely do more harm than good.

Rent a carpet stretcher, or a guy with a carpet stretcher.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

JerseyMike wrote:
the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13
years ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to
ripple in spots. someone told me to try and run an iron over the
areas w/ a towel between the iron and the carpet. is this something
that will work or do i need a carpet guy to comein and restretch it
and retack it down?

thanks for any tips,

mike........

I doubt that will do it. You need it re-stretched. That is part of
installing the carpet and can be done anytime to correct your problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

JerseyMike wrote:
the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13 years
ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to ripple in spots.
someone told me to try and run an iron over the areas w/ a towel between the
iron and the carpet. is this something that will work or do i need a carpet
guy to comein and restretch it and retack it down?

thanks for any tips,

mike........

Hello Mike: It probably needs to be restretched professionally. Old
carpet is weaker than new carpet and can be ripped accidentally if
overstretched. If tack-strip was used at the edge, which is the usual
case, then it will be fairly simple to pull up one corner of the
carpet, restretch, and force the carpet back down onto the tack strip.

[During college years I helped a cousin lay carpet, and learned
something very important: I will never attempt to install carpet
myself. There are hundreds of ways to screw up, and I think I know
most of them.... :-) ]

Best -- Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:43:36 GMT, "JerseyMike"
wrote:

the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13 years
ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to ripple in spots.
someone told me to try and run an iron over the areas w/ a towel between the
iron and the carpet. is this something that will work or do i need a carpet
guy to comein and restretch it and retack it down?

thanks for any tips,

mike........

Small areas with ripples can be stretched/taken out with a "knee
kicker" (rented). pull some carpet away from the tack strip and kick
it back on the strip and trim the excess. Carpet over time will
stretch, like a new pair of boots.

Larger areas - have a carpet guy stretch it in (pole stretchers).
Large beds and heavy furniture can hamper the efforts to tighten up
the carpet.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
ups.com:

JerseyMike wrote:
[...]

That I can believe. There are wrong and right ways & directions to
stretch it. Existing carpet I would suspect could have additional issues.
Maybe like pulling a seam apart even.

One thing I've seen is where things got wet at the tack strips at some
point. The nails begin to rust and eventually let go. Nothing to
restretch to. Need new tack strip. If in concrete, tad more tricky to
nail.

Just some observations...

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM
What to do with Wet Carpet in a house? TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 4th 04 02:17 AM
while *laying* carpet; anticipating human "cow-trails"? David Combs Home Repair 7 January 31st 04 06:33 PM