Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nylon bearings?

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

donh wrote:
I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

i wouldnt know completely what is best but how about give it some oil
for the moment or silicone either or both just a little amount to calm
it down only if it is in desperate need and then wait for more answers

but if it were me id add a bit of oil to the rotors only just enough
tho
and find out more info about them

LandRover #232412

Games that I like to play

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .net, "donh" wrote:
I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Lubrication is likely to be a short term solution at best.
I'd probably try some polyurea (bicycle) grease since I
happen to have some around.

But if nylon bearings are sufficiently worn to flap around and
make a noise, it's time to replace 'em. Just check to see
that it's not something else generating the noise.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

donh spake thus:

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Oil won't harm nylon, which is impervious to most petrochemicals (at
least those found around the house).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

donh wrote:
I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

It might seem like a wild and crazy idea but have you considered reading
the manual or contacting the manufacturer? Surely either of those would
yield better information than strangers who have no idea what sort of
mower you are using.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:03:13 GMT, "donh"
wrote:

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Use Lubriplates Aero grease. It's compatible with plastic and has
good low temperature qualities.

http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=14
Posted to alt.home.repair

donh wrote:

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Below is a guide to chemical compatibility for many materials:

www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

Nylon is compatibile with almost all oils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Oct 2006 13:14:24 -0700, wrote:

donh wrote:

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Below is a guide to chemical compatibility for many materials:

www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

Nylon is compatibile with almost all oils.

Just for kicks I selected aluminum and petroleum. It has a D
rating - Severe effect, not recommended for any use. What is
the reason behind this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just for kicks I selected aluminum and petroleum. It has a D
rating - Severe effect, not recommended for any use. What is
the reason behind this?

Aluminum block car engines and pistons? Huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just for kicks I selected aluminum and petroleum. It has a D
rating - Severe effect, not recommended for any use. What is
the reason behind this?

By "petroleum" I think they mean crude oil, which can contain stuff that
corrodes aluminum.

If you do the same check on "oils:mineral" (which is what ordinary
petroleum lubricants are), it comes up A.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aerosol grease would be easy. Most grease and oil tend to attract
and hold dirt/dust/scuzz. I use a Teflon filled anti seize on
similar things and have been quite pleased. Here are some
examples:
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/ , though there are many
brands.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"donh" wrote in message
link.net...
I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades
turn in. What is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that
oil will deteriorate the nylon and that silicone is too weak.
They are really getting noisy and need something. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

donh wrote:
I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What
is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the
nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need
something. Thanks

Yes, replacement. Typically you replace such bearings when they act as
you describe.