Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pvc thread connection leaks

I am having a problem sealing PVC pipe threads--male to female --I use pvc
male adaptors to pvc valves --and more than 50% of the time, the
connection leaks --I have tried pipe dope, rectro seal, teflon tape, over
tightening, and just barley tightening the fitting --this is quite
annoying since the joint must be redone --and there is no way of testing
it until all is hooked up --What I am sure of, is the teflon tape has the
most failures, while the rectro-seal has about 30% failure rate --any
suggestions for pvc to pvc thread joint leaks??
Posted to alt.home.repair

earlywagon wrote:
I am having a problem sealing PVC pipe threads--male to female --I use pvc
male adaptors to pvc valves --and more than 50% of the time, the
connection leaks --I have tried pipe dope, rectro seal, teflon tape, over
tightening, and just barley tightening the fitting --this is quite
annoying since the joint must be redone --and there is no way of testing
it until all is hooked up --What I am sure of, is the teflon tape has the
most failures, while the rectro-seal has about 30% failure rate --any
suggestions for pvc to pvc thread joint leaks??

Would it be feasible to glue them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pj Pj is offline

earlywagon wrote:
I am having a problem sealing PVC pipe threads--male to female --I use pvc
male adaptors to pvc valves --and more than 50% of the time, the
connection leaks --I have tried pipe dope, rectro seal, teflon tape, over
tightening, and just barley tightening the fitting --this is quite
annoying since the joint must be redone --and there is no way of testing
it until all is hooked up --What I am sure of, is the teflon tape has the
most failures, while the rectro-seal has about 30% failure rate --any
suggestions for pvc to pvc thread joint leaks??

I've always had good luck with teflon tape. I wind a couple turns and
screw them together tight. I can only recall one time that a female
connector broke during tightening.

Pj

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used a combination of teflon tape with an extra dab of pipe
dope. Tape or dope alone don't seem to work. Don't over tighten, or you
can break things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bit the bullet and glued them as suggested --no leaks --I had tried tape,
and pipe dope combo prior and the problem here was it leaked --as did the
tape by itself --the only sealent which I had success but not all the time
was pipe dope with teflon --however, there were still leaks some of the
time --the glue --worked --thanks for the comments --bill