Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damaged Joist Pt. 2

Thanks for the replies. The severely nothced part is in the staircase...ie
you are walking up to the 2nd floor and you look up. So, there is only
about 3-4 ft or so of the joist exposed there, because of the walls on
both sides of the staircase. The joist is also exposed where the small
notch is in the bathroom, because we are remodeling there. The joist is
not exposed anywhere else, it runs from the bathroom, through the
staircase, through my bedroom. Does anyone have any idea how much this
might cost? Also, is the small notch in the bathroom ok or does it need to
be fixed too? Its only a couple inches tall by about an inch wide. The pipe
for the shower is running through there. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hotwheels514" wrote in message
news:87ad90015cdad2689c01c9edcc4c9947@homerepairli ve.com...
Thanks for the replies. The severely nothced part is in the staircase...ie
you are walking up to the 2nd floor and you look up.

So, you do realize that this joist is under a much larger load that the
other joists? It's partly responsible for holding up all the other joists
that stop at the staircase. It's pretty much the worst part you could cut
into.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hotwheels514" wrote in message
news:87ad90015cdad2689c01c9edcc4c9947@homerepairli ve.com...
Thanks for the replies. The severely nothced part is in the staircase...ie
you are walking up to the 2nd floor and you look up. So, there is only
about 3-4 ft or so of the joist exposed there, because of the walls on
both sides of the staircase. The joist is also exposed where the small
notch is in the bathroom, because we are remodeling there. The joist is
not exposed anywhere else, it runs from the bathroom, through the
staircase, through my bedroom. Does anyone have any idea how much this
might cost? Also, is the small notch in the bathroom ok or does it need to
be fixed too? Its only a couple inches tall by about an inch wide. The
pipe
for the shower is running through there. Thanks.

I have no idea how much it will cost to repair, but you need to get someone
in to look at it NOW. I don't think anyone (including me) is trying to
scare you unnecessarily -- but you have a potentially dangerous situation
that needs professional attention immediately.

Whatever it costs to fix, it will be a lot cheaper than rebuilding your home
if it collapses. Especially if in severely hurts/kills someone in the
process...

-Tim