Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading Bathroom Exhaust Fan with 3 inch ducts

Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my
bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and
loud.

Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?

Thanks
Steven

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven wrote:
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my
bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and
loud.

Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?

Thanks
Steven

One reason they are quieter is because of the larger ducts. That and
they generally also move more air.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you can get an adaptor that will connect the 4" to the 3". It will
make the fan a little louder than it should be, but if you buy a good
quality quiet fan it will be a lot quieter than the cheap one you have now.
Have you checked out the Panasonice "Whisper" fans? They're the wuietest
(and most energy efficient) on the market. They're expensive, but good. Good
luck.

"Steven" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my
bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and
loud.

Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?

Thanks
Steven

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remi wrote:
I think you can get an adaptor that will connect the 4" to the 3". It will
make the fan a little louder than it should be, but if you buy a good
quality quiet fan it will be a lot quieter than the cheap one you have now.
Have you checked out the Panasonice "Whisper" fans? They're the wuietest
(and most energy efficient) on the market. They're expensive, but good. Good
luck.

bath exhaust fans are a bad idea anyway for a home...

in the winter they draw heated moist air outside,,,,instead... after
your shower, just open the inside door and keep that warm moist air in
your house..

in the summer, open a window...

if your using central AC in the summer, you are still better off
closing the AC vent in the bath and opening the window...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
Remi wrote:
I think you can get an adaptor that will connect the 4" to the 3".
It will make the fan a little louder than it should be, but if you
buy a good quality quiet fan it will be a lot quieter than the cheap
one you have now. Have you checked out the Panasonice "Whisper"
fans? They're the wuietest (and most energy efficient) on the
market. They're expensive, but good. Good luck.

bath exhaust fans are a bad idea anyway for a home...

in the winter they draw heated moist air outside,,,,instead... after
your shower, just open the inside door and keep that warm moist air in
your house..

in the summer, open a window...

if your using central AC in the summer, you are still better off
closing the AC vent in the bath and opening the window...

Mark

For the home as a whole, your comment makes some sense. However since
that warm moist air stuck in the smallest room in the house means mold and
mildew, they do make sense. Even your examples do not apply at all likely
combinations of conditions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Use a 4 inch duct nothing less than 125cfm,s to make it worthwhile and
insulate the duct if you live where it snows
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Remi wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in
my bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap
and loud.

Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?

Thanks
Steven

Yea I picked up an hard plastic adapter for a buck or two at the Borg.

When I got the fan, I noticed they had a noise rating on the boxes or
display.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in
oups.com:

Remi wrote:
I think you can get an adaptor that will connect the 4" to the 3". It
will make the fan a little louder than it should be, but if you buy a
good quality quiet fan it will be a lot quieter than the cheap one
you have now. Have you checked out the Panasonice "Whisper" fans?
They're the wuietest (and most energy efficient) on the market.
They're expensive, but good. Good luck.

bath exhaust fans are a bad idea anyway for a home...

Not sure I can buy into that one.

in the winter they draw heated moist air outside,,,,instead... after
your shower, just open the inside door and keep that warm moist air in
your house..

While higher humidity can make it feel warmer, that moisture in a tightly
insulated house can raise hell in various ways. In cold climates it can
contribute quite a bit to icing windows.

in the summer, open a window...

if your using central AC in the summer, you are still better off
closing the AC vent in the bath and opening the window...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

for quietest installation the fan goes in the attic and the intake
feeds to it from the bathroom.
see:Bathroom Exhaust Fans:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...hp/cPath/30_85
"A sone is a measure of loudness. The higher the sone rating the louder
the sound.
Understanding how loud an exhaust fan will be can be difficult, largely
because bathroom exhaust fans are measured in sones, while most common
noise levels we are familiar with are measured in decibels.
Scientifically, one sone equals 40 phons, which is the loudness of a
1,000 hertz tone at 0 decibels above our threshold hearing level. The
relationship between phons and decibels is not one-to-one (affected by,
for instance, frequency), but for our purposes we will assume that
decibels are roughly equivalent to phons. The chart below compares the
sound level of a sampling of exhaust fans with the sound level of a
number of other common sounds.
Sone

0.3
Panasonic 60 cfm FV05VQ2 Fan
0.5
30 Phons
0.5
Rustling Leaves
1.0
40 Phons
1.0
A Quiet Refrigerator
1.5
Panasonic 100 cfm FV11VQ2 Fan
2.0
50 Phons
2.0
Quiet Home
3.0
Panasonic 380 cfm FV40VQ3 Fan
3.0
Normal Office
4.0
60 Phons
4.0
Nornal Television Volume
Note that two sones are twice as loud as one sone, three sones are
twice as loud as two sones, four sones are twice as loud as three
sones, and so on."

Steven wrote:
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my
bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and
loud.

Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?

Thanks
Steven

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven wrote:
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my
bathrooms. They are incredibly loud.
I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or
greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and
loud.

The Panasonic Whisper fans are outstanding!

Check out
https://www.westsidewholesale.com/
for some excellent information and prices
(under Heating and Ventilation)

They also sell the duct adaptors for 4" to 3"

Bathroom Exhaust twfsa Home Repair 1 April 6th 05 10:30 PM
Bathroom exhaust fan advice? Andrew Webber Home Ownership 7 March 1st 05 02:34 PM
Bathroom exhaust fan (no attic) Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 2 January 10th 05 12:59 AM
Bathroom exhaust fan (no attic) Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 10 January 2nd 05 08:52 PM