Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet odor from septic?

We have a standard in ground septic system. About 2 or 3 years after
installing a new toilet (over the concrete slab) it started to emit a
septic-type odor that lasts for weeks and then fades away only to come back
again. We can't seem to trace it and the bowl is clean. Could septic odor be
coming through a wax seal? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:48:43 GMT, "Bill Rah" wrote:

We have a standard in ground septic system. About 2 or 3 years after
installing a new toilet (over the concrete slab) it started to emit a
septic-type odor that lasts for weeks and then fades away only to come back
again. We can't seem to trace it and the bowl is clean. Could septic odor be
coming through a wax seal? Thanks in advance.

imho:

If you have a water seal in the bowl, it would only seem like break in
the piping/seal integrity. One thing, septic systems are usually
vented, and so is your sewer lines, so a SWAG is that you aren't
getting the full force of the septic system, but are smelling your own
pipes.

I had a seal failure once, I found it because of a weird smell, and
verified it by sealing up the house, and turning on every exhaust fan.
Soon the 'weird smell' was fully recognized. yummy.

Good luck, and fill us in on what you find, and do.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:48:43 GMT, "Bill Rah" wrote:

We have a standard in ground septic system. About 2 or 3 years after
installing a new toilet (over the concrete slab) it started to emit a
septic-type odor that lasts for weeks and then fades away only to come

back
again. We can't seem to trace it and the bowl is clean. Could septic odor

be
coming through a wax seal? Thanks in advance.

imho:

If you have a water seal in the bowl, it would only seem like break in
the piping/seal integrity. One thing, septic systems are usually
vented, and so is your sewer lines, so a SWAG is that you aren't
getting the full force of the septic system, but are smelling your own
pipes.

Yes, that's exactly what is smells like...as if I am smelling the inside of
the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:49:52 -0400, Tom The Great wrote:

[...]

Worst case scenario your septic field is leaking/flooding into the ground.
I knew a guy who finally traced a stink in his basement that came and went

over watering up hill in his back yard. This was bringing sewer smells up

under
his slab.

There's no smell on the outside. This toilet (& sink and shower) are on its
own 500 gal tank. We just found the tank about a month ago. We are the
second homeowner and the tank was buried without visible access tubes. Since
the clean-out plug is still intact (i.e. not punched out) I presume it has
never been cleaned in 26 years. I'll have it pumped but everything still
works though. I'll dig around the 'poop chute' between the tank and the
house and make sure it's not broken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with Gary. Seems like it's time for a new wax ring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DragonKnight" wrote in message
news:8160ca05f6a5a938fc391f68a3a63f8f@homerepairli ve.com...
I'm with Gary. Seems like it's time for a new wax ring.

Agreed. That seems to be the likely culprit.

Thanks to everyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:54:54 GMT, "Bill Rah" wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Then if the toilet is functioning properly, then you might want to
have your installation/piping checked.

I did this, I yanked off my toliet and found the 2-3 rings installed
failed. The multible rings were because the previous installer didn't
rise up the closet ring to meet the new floor tile's level. Oh also,
to coverup the damaged closet ring. The work looks like it was a
DIY'er, he missed the sizing of the hole in a tile, and decided to
bang the ring over a 1/4". Boob.

So be prepared for quick check turn iinto a larger job.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Water gurgle in toilet when washing machine drains [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 01:44 AM
Macerating toilet & septic Darryl Home Repair 3 June 23rd 06 04:08 PM
Macerating toilet & septic Darryl Home Ownership 3 June 23rd 06 04:08 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Ring of hard scale on toilet - have septic system. How to clean? dean Home Repair 9 May 22nd 05 03:22 PM