Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Toilet odor from septic?

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:48:43 GMT, "Bill Rah" wrote:

We have a standard in ground septic system. About 2 or 3 years after
installing a new toilet (over the concrete slab) it started to emit a
septic-type odor that lasts for weeks and then fades away only to come back
again. We can't seem to trace it and the bowl is clean. Could septic odor be
coming through a wax seal? Thanks in advance.

imho:

If you have a water seal in the bowl, it would only seem like break in
the piping/seal integrity. One thing, septic systems are usually
vented, and so is your sewer lines, so a SWAG is that you aren't
getting the full force of the septic system, but are smelling your own
pipes.

I had a seal failure once, I found it because of a weird smell, and
verified it by sealing up the house, and turning on every exhaust fan.
Soon the 'weird smell' was fully recognized. yummy.

Good luck, and fill us in on what you find, and do.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com