Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plaster wall repair

I recently had my basement remodeled and the contractor put in plaster
(hard coat) walls instead of drywall. It was put in over blue board and
has small, textured swirls in it. I have a small indentation in one of
the walls caused by a door knob being pushed into it. My question is
how do I repair this type of wall and have the finished product match
the texturing already on the walls?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had my basement remodeled and the contractor put in plaster
(hard coat) walls instead of drywall. It was put in over blue board and
has small, textured swirls in it. I have a small indentation in one of
the walls caused by a door knob being pushed into it. My question is
how do I repair this type of wall and have the finished product match
the texturing already on the walls?

Thanks.

Would the indentation still be noticeable if you installed a door bumper in
that exact spot? Look at the link below. If it falls apart, go to
www.homedepot.com and search for the word "bumper".

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

If you *did* fix the indentation, you'd have to install a bumper anyway, or
the same thing would happen again. Maybe you can skip the repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
My question is
how do I repair this type of wall and have the finished product match
the texturing already on the walls?

No matter what you do, it will show. Best to mount a bumper or protector
there that will cover the indent. Hand a picture of your MIL with her nose
in just the right spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a "knob nest"?
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...4x&dept%5Fid=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX spake thus:

How about a "knob nest"?
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...4x&dept%5Fid=1

Ugly as all get-out, but would certainly do the job.
(Would harmonize well with the typical new American bland, nondescript
contractor's dream tract home, though.)

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Oct 2006 07:45:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I recently had my basement remodeled and the contractor put in plaster
(hard coat) walls instead of drywall. It was put in over blue board and
has small, textured swirls in it. I have a small indentation in one of
the walls caused by a door knob being pushed into it. My question is
how do I repair this type of wall and have the finished product match
the texturing already on the walls?

cut it out and put a wooden plaque there, which will look like
it's intended to keep the doornob from punching holes in the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rather not put any kind of plaque or bumper where the indentation
is if I can help it. I have since put a hinge bumper on the door, but
too little too late. There must be some way to fix the problem. I'd say
the indentation is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch into the plaster. It's not even
extremely noticable unless you're me and know exactly where it is and
see it every time I walk by the door

Thanks.

Goedjn wrote:
On 6 Oct 2006 07:45:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I recently had my basement remodeled and the contractor put in plaster
(hard coat) walls instead of drywall. It was put in over blue board and
has small, textured swirls in it. I have a small indentation in one of
the walls caused by a door knob being pushed into it. My question is
how do I repair this type of wall and have the finished product match
the texturing already on the walls?

cut it out and put a wooden plaque there, which will look like
it's intended to keep the doornob from punching holes in the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a small container of ready-mixed drywall mud, a small spreading tool,
and have fun with it. Also get some of the black mesh sanding pads made for
drywall & plaster work. As far as the texture, experiment with small damp or
wet bits of sponge, plastic forks, whatever it takes. If you screw it up,
sand away the repair and start over.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd rather not put any kind of plaque or bumper where the indentation
is if I can help it. I have since put a hinge bumper on the door, but
too little too late. There must be some way to fix the problem. I'd say
the indentation is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch into the plaster. It's not even
extremely noticable unless you're me and know exactly where it is and
see it every time I walk by the door

Thanks.