Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Number of wires in conduit

Installing dishwasher. New install. Need to run electic-separate 15amp
circuit. Would like to feed wires through nearby conduit run. How
many conductors and neutrals can run in a 1/2 or 3/8 conduit ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Teo2006 wrote:
Installing dishwasher. New install. Need to run electic-separate 15amp
circuit. Would like to feed wires through nearby conduit run. How
many conductors and neutrals can run in a 1/2 or 3/8 conduit ?

The limit is on the total number of wires. The capacity of those wires
may need to be derated if there are more than three current carrying
conductors in the conduit. Conductors that are functioning as actual
neutral conductors are not counted for that purpose but grounded current
carrying conductors other than true neutrals are. To answer your
question about the total number of wires permitted in the conduit I
would need to know the actual type and nominal size of conduit or at
least it's actual internal diameter. Conduits carrying three or more
wires may only be filled to 40% of their cross sectional area.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

Teo2006 ) said...

Installing dishwasher. New install. Need to run electic-separate 15amp
circuit. Would like to feed wires through nearby conduit run. How
many conductors and neutrals can run in a 1/2 or 3/8 conduit ?

I created a Conduit Calculator application that is available for free
at http://daxack.ca/Conduit/index.html

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think its safe to say you can install (3) #12 thhn wires in a 1/2
conduit. 40% fill.
Assuming your dishwasher is 120v ac

one hot, one neutral and one ground.

On 06 Oct 2006 22:04:39 GMT, lid (Calvin
Henry-Cotnam) wrote:

Teo2006 ) said...

Installing dishwasher. New install. Need to run electic-separate 15amp
circuit. Would like to feed wires through nearby conduit run. How
many conductors and neutrals can run in a 1/2 or 3/8 conduit ?

I created a Conduit Calculator application that is available for free
at
http://daxack.ca/Conduit/index.html

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
- Paul Martin - April 30, 2003
NOTE: if replying by email, remove "remove." and ".invalid"