Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reducing refrigerator noise?

My bedroom happens to be on the other side of the kitchen, where the
refrigerator is located. The refrigerator is enclosed by cabinets,
with some extra space on the top.. The refrigerator is new, but at
night the noise can still be heard in the bedroom.

I am thinking about putting some kind of foam material to the wall in
the kitchen where the refrigerator is located. There's enough
clearance for a few inches of padding for sure.

Does anyone know where I can buy such things? I know I can get some
kind of adhesive sound reducing foam padding for computer cases, but
they are generally pretty expensive..

Thanks!

Raymond
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am thinking about putting some kind of foam material to the wall in
the kitchen where the refrigerator is located. There's enough
clearance for a few inches of padding for sure.

Does anyone know where I can buy such things? I know I can get some
kind of adhesive sound reducing foam padding for computer cases, but
they are generally pretty expensive..

Yes. It's called insulation, and it's available at most home centers.
Or look in the yellow pages if you want someone to come in and blow the
stuff into your wall for you.
Even the normal stuff insulates from sound as well as heat - doesn't
have to be specific sound-reducing material unless you're a recording
studio, or unless you still can't insulate enough with regular
insulation.
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

spray closed cell foam is the most effective, but costly. of course you
dont need much but its a small job.

it deadens sound 2 ways, makes it harder to transmit, and prevents air
passage which ultimately allows sound to pass.

try running a fan or other white noise generator at night to mask the
noise.

new fridges are much more energy efficent but the tradeoff is noise

Since its new you might try living with it for a few days you will
eventually adjust.....

just like to the sound of AC or furnace running or occasional street
noise, your brain says thats normal let him sleep

yur fridge is new so your brain says wake him might be hazardous

over time everything will settle out

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

You don't want foam for this application, you want
recycled cellulose panels, (Homasote, or something
similar.) Well, what you really want is lead-filled
vinyl, but if you're balking at the price of foam,
you won't pay for that.

And whatever you're doing in the evenings that's
keeping you from sleeping, cut it out, or do it
in the morning. If I can sleep next to an oil-fired
forced air furnace, you should be able that manage
being on the other side of a wall from a refridgerator.

Less coffee, more exercise.

Hehe. Thanks everyone for the advice. I was thinking about something I
can do without putting anything inside the drywalls... Some kind of
self adhesive foam padding I can put up on the wall where the frig is
at..

I am kinda used to it already, so no big deal...

Raymond
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

spray closed cell foam is the most effective, but costly. of course you
dont need much but its a small job.

it deadens sound 2 ways, makes it harder to transmit, and prevents air
passage which ultimately allows sound to pass.

try running a fan or other white noise generator at night to mask the
noise.

new fridges are much more energy efficent but the tradeoff is noise

Since its new you might try living with it for a few days you will
eventually adjust.....

just like to the sound of AC or furnace running or occasional street
noise, your brain says thats normal let him sleep

yur fridge is new so your brain says wake him might be hazardous

over time everything will settle out

... your brain says thats normal let him sleep

Glad brain doesn't do this when I'm sleeping and gotta wiz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about putting a (3 pronged) timer on the fridge? Maybe set it to
come back on after you are asleep? Having it cut off for a 3 hour
period (or so) wouldn't harm anything. The door would be closed the
whole time ne way..
CP

Of pressure reducing valves, combis & showers... Scott M UK diy 4 January 28th 06 08:16 PM
pressure reducing valve - which pipe should it fit on?? [email protected] UK diy 1 July 4th 05 10:15 PM
Water Pressure - Wher is my "Pressure Reducing Valve"? Brett Miller Home Repair 22 May 9th 05 04:59 PM
reducing tees Arthur UK diy 9 February 23rd 05 05:50 PM
water pressure reducing valve failure modes? John Shaeffer Home Repair 1 February 7th 05 02:39 AM