Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Reducing refrigerator noise?

wrote:
My bedroom happens to be on the other side of the kitchen, where the
refrigerator is located. The refrigerator is enclosed by cabinets,
with some extra space on the top.. The refrigerator is new, but at
night the noise can still be heard in the bedroom.

I am thinking about putting some kind of foam material to the wall in
the kitchen where the refrigerator is located. There's enough
clearance for a few inches of padding for sure.

Does anyone know where I can buy such things? I know I can get some
kind of adhesive sound reducing foam padding for computer cases, but
they are generally pretty expensive..

Thanks!

Raymond

Before you go out and buy anything expensive or exotic, I would try
experimenting with materials that you might have around the house or
are inexpensive to buy. You might try hanging a couple layers of carpet
on the wall, for instance, or some blankets. Sheet rock should work
very well if you mount it with a dead air space.

If your experiments don't results in some perceptible reduction in the
noise, there's a good chance that regular sound-proofing material won't
either and the noise is propagating through a different medium, like
the floor for instance or even under your bedroom door.