Junior Member

Default Only Very Occasional Hot Water From Central Heating

hi there all,winter's on it's way and I need to get this sorted otherwise the Mrs will be on my back constantly giving me ear ache!

I'm only getting a very occasional flow of hot water for bathing & washing dishes from my gas central heating,approx once every month for about 2-3 hours only.When the water does eventually flow it flows fine like normal.

The radiators seem to be fine & I had the boiler serviced in January this year.As usual the plumber didn't want to hang around to sort the hot water out for me then & he told me it's probably a faulty valve which I could probably sort myself.

Could anyone out there enlighten me with their wisdom as I've no knowledge whatsoever of central heating systems and can't afford to get one of these guys in to sort it for me.

Any ideas,comments,recommendations or links to related informative sites would be very welcomed.

thanks so much & hope I get at least one reply,ta

Crispin
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not familiar with the type of system you have...I assume your
furnace have a hot water tank that supplies the radiators?

Is there a seperate coil that your domestic hot water ( for bathing,
dishes, etc ) flows thru to get heated before going to your faucets?
How do you get hot water the rest of the year or does the furnace burn
year round?

I would suggest tracing the water pipe as it comes into the house,
splits into hot and cold before the furnace, then the hot water must
flow out form the furnace to your faucets, right?

Can you check and see if the hot water line has hot water in it coming
from the furance?

--
kjhi98

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjhi98 wrote:
hi there all,winter's on it's way and I need to get this sorted
otherwise the Mrs will be on my back constantly giving me ear ache!

I'm only getting a very occasional flow of hot water for bathing &
washing dishes from my gas central heating,approx once every month for
about 2-3 hours only.When the water does eventually flow it flows fine
like normal.

Post to this group:

UK.D-I-Y

Jim