Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Roof Vent. Big Boxes?

Anybody ever see them? I gave a quick scan for one at HD but didn't see it.
Any idea what they run for like plastic. I mean $15 or $50.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:58:21 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

Anybody ever see them? I gave a quick scan for one at HD but didn't see it.
Any idea what they run for like plastic. I mean $15 or $50.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2925
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....=2&category=26
http://www.lambro.net/prodtype.asp?prodtype=36

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't use these. They will collect lint like crazy and they are hard
as hell to clean out.

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

wrote:

Anybody ever see them? I gave a quick scan for one at HD but didn't see it.
Any idea what they run for like plastic. I mean $15 or $50.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2925
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....=2&category=26
http://www.lambro.net/prodtype.asp?prodtype=36

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CDET 14" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Anybody ever see them? I gave a quick scan for one at HD but didn't
see it. Any idea what they run for like plastic. I mean $15 or $50.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2925
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....8/.f?sc=2&cate
gory=26 http://www.lambro.net/prodtype.asp?prodtype=36

OK, I understand lint collection and blockage is a consideration. Long
dry times, burning out elements, fried thermistors, etc. even to the
extent of a fire hazard.

Minimizing lint blockage is exactly why I am considering this option.
It's the shortest and straightest run. Here is the layout:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q62E25BED
- or -
http://www.konicaminoltaonline.com/k...69& pagenum=1

On the top is what I am considering. Comparing to the bottom where it
would be gable vented, it removes about 17 ft of length from the attic.

Roof: 6' ( attic rise)
Gable: 3' (attic rise) + 5' (90 deg turn) + 15' (run to gable) = 23

Interior venting: 8' + 5' (90 deg turn) + 2' (to dryer) = 15'

Total venting length:

Roof: 6 (attic) + 15 (interior) = 21'
Gable: 23 + 15 = 38'

I don't think 38' is legal here and besides, it's not too smart. With
the roof install, I believe any residual lint would drop to the cleanout
at the 90 degree bend at the dryer. This cleanout is (probably) a piece
of metal stove pipe with a cap on the bottom. Easily accessable from
below furnace where the air intake grid and filter is.

This routing is about the only option I have. The only other exit is out
the side of the laundry room where there are cabinets all the way to the
side wall in the kitchen. Check this out. When I moved in this repo
HUD wreck they had the 4" vent going through the side of the laundry
room wall and laying exposed (no soffit) on top of the wall cabinets and
out the kitchen wall. Not quite my decor taste.

You thoughts Alisa? Or anyone elses input of course.

Al,
Professional Wanna-be...and not too shabby a one either:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"CDET 14" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

[...]

I see your layout.
Let's clarify some points:

1. The 'residual' lint that will drop to the clean out. The problem
with lint is that it sticks to the sides of the vent pipe and slowly
builds up to restrict air flow. Sure, some will drop with gravity once
the dryer blower stops, but that is not the big issue.

2. The metal stove pipe can be used for any or all of the vent route,
but please follow these guidelines: As the pipe sections are fitted,
the male end should face away from the dryer. This is the opposite of
stove pipe instructions.
There should be no screws. Use aluminum tape (not duct) to secure
seams.
The diameter should be 4". Bigger is not better. The dryer blower is
designed to push lint through a 4" pipe.

3. The prior owner's route sounds shorter. May I suggest the same vent
route, but build a chase around it to look better. It could be a
design accent. I assume that the termination was to the exterior of
the structure...

4. Your picture shows a "hose to attic" and I hope this is a rigid
metal pipe.

5. Yes, 38' is too long. If you choose to go this route, you must be
diligent on keeping it cleaned out.

6. My original concern was the termination box. The boxes that lie
flat on the roof look better, but collect lint better, too. They are
also tough to clean out from either end. If it will terminate on the
side of the structure, as your picture suggests, a standard side vent
will work. Please put a critter guard on the end, not a mesh screen.
Birds are the problem and the built in flap is not a deterent.