Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thick Cedar Lattice

Hi there,

I am looking for thick square cedar lattice. I have seen some
pictures with really thick (1 inch to 2 inch) square cedar lattice. I

have phoned many lumber yards around the Toronto area but they only
have the typical thickness (3/8 inch) which I find looks flimsy and
come apart after time. Does anyone know where I can get thicker
cedar lattice or have it made (within the Toronto area).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duke1973 wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking for thick square cedar lattice. I have seen some
pictures with really thick (1 inch to 2 inch) square cedar lattice. I

have phoned many lumber yards around the Toronto area but they only
have the typical thickness (3/8 inch) which I find looks flimsy and
come apart after time. Does anyone know where I can get thicker
cedar lattice or have it made (within the Toronto area).

How can you tell from a "picture" how thick said lattice is? You could
put together two of the available units to make a thicker one.
Otherwise, it would be a simple project to construct a lattice of any
design you wish. What skills do you have??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Oct 2006 05:59:03 -0700, "Duke1973"
wrote:

Hi there,

I am looking for thick square cedar lattice. I have seen some
pictures with really thick (1 inch to 2 inch) square cedar lattice. I

have phoned many lumber yards around the Toronto area but they only
have the typical thickness (3/8 inch) which I find looks flimsy and
come apart after time. Does anyone know where I can get thicker
cedar lattice or have it made (within the Toronto area).

Thanks

I'm not in your area, but no doubt somebody will direct you.

This is a weird suggestion from a low-skills critter:

If you can't get it custom cut, how about gluing several 3/8
lattices together to get the thickness you want? You would need to
use an all-weather glue for your lovely rainy season.

Good luck...

aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 10 sections I use now, bought at HD.

So why if they are 1/2" thinner, none are as thick as you want, are
they NG.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the picture that I am looking at. It looks as though the
lattice is at least 1-2 inch thick. This looks like it would be
difficult to make.

http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/fences/fence_12.htm

I thought about just gluing two peices together but they most likely
would not line up properly.

Lawrence wrote:
Duke1973 wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking for thick square cedar lattice. I have seen some
pictures with really thick (1 inch to 2 inch) square cedar lattice. I

have phoned many lumber yards around the Toronto area but they only
have the typical thickness (3/8 inch) which I find looks flimsy and
come apart after time. Does anyone know where I can get thicker
cedar lattice or have it made (within the Toronto area).

How can you tell from a "picture" how thick said lattice is? You could
put together two of the available units to make a thicker one.
Otherwise, it would be a simple project to construct a lattice of any
design you wish. What skills do you have??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duke1973 wrote:
This is the picture that I am looking at. It looks as though the
lattice is at least 1-2 inch thick. This looks like it would be
difficult to make.

http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/fences/fence_12.htm

That picture does not show a pre-made lattice. Instead, it show a
fence which is constructed in place, piece by piece. That is the
strategy you should take if you want a fence like that.
Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Oct 2006 05:45:42 -0700, "Duke1973"
wrote:

This is the picture that I am looking at. It looks as though the
lattice is at least 1-2 inch thick. This looks like it would be
difficult to make.

http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/fences/fence_12.htm

I thought about just gluing two peices together but they most likely
would not line up properly.

I am looking for thick square cedar lattice. I have seen some
pictures with really thick (1 inch to 2 inch) square cedar lattice. I

You're not going to find that in a generic store, but any competent
woodworker should be able to make it for you. It should be done
as a whole bunch of mortice and tennon joints, but that's pretty
labor intensive, and from their description, I'm betting that
everything except the main support posts is a bunch of half-laps.