Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck surfacing question

A few weeks ago I was pressure washing my back deck which, due to various
remodeling projects had become a real mess. I had stained the deck two years
earlier with a Home Depot latex stain. Anyway I washed it down to the bare
treated wood figuring I would just stain it again and it'd look like new.
Wrong. I was so impressed at how "clean it was gitting that I didn't realize
my Little Honda washer was basically chiseling a fine layer of the wood off
the top. Now the surface, however clean, is barely a bit smoother than rough
cut lumber. (Okay, I'm an idiot.) I am in North GA where we use this large
covered deck almost year round and this surface is horrible for barefoot
runs to the hottub. The decking is probably ten years old and it has always
been covered. Here's my idea: Could I rent one of those big walk behind
sanders from HD and sand the boards smooth again.? If used them to resurface
floors inside before but never treated deck wood. Has anyone done this? Any
suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jamie wrote:

[...]

You might be able to burn the "fuzzies" off with a torch without
charring the wood. A resident pressure washed our dock, raised a lot of
grain, but I think it just wore off. No sanding has been done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jamie wrote:
[...]

And what of the nails? Not to mention nasty, chemical laden sanding
dust.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

call a rental tool place
see if anyone rents a "square buff sander"
Its a random orbit floor sander ,large and heavy
we use them all the time on decks here in Maine
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Jamie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

absolutely you can sand it like new again although it may be rough on the
sander

"Jamie" wrote in message
A few weeks ago I was pressure washing my back deck which, due to various
remodeling projects had become a real mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the deck CCA treated ,it probably is, read up on dangers of breathing
cca sanding dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jamie wrote:
A few weeks ago I was pressure washing my back deck which, due to various
remodeling projects had become a real mess.Could I rent one of those big walk behind
sanders from HD and sand the boards smooth again.? If used them to resurface
floors inside before but never treated deck wood. Has anyone done this? Any
suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I would not be willing to sand any pressure treated wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jamie wrote:
[...]

Unscrew the boards and flip them over. While you've got them off,
treat them with CPES:

http://www.rotdoctor.com/L/HouseL/hQA079.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

as DaDio said, what about the chemical laden sanding dust

you have pressure treated wood, which means it is treated with arsnic
to prevent rot by killing anything that trys to grow on it. sanding it
will rais poisonous dust into the air, it sholdn't have a high enough
concentration to kill someone, but you won't have a buch of people
chearing your name either.

we have a ceder deck and i did the same thing a few years back, basicly
the grain dropped back down after staing or wore off over the next
year.

Empresser #124457

The best Games