Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to by "sealed glass units"

I have a cracked double-pane window. It's on the ground level, so I don't
want it to be removed for longer than a few hours at a time.

In our old house, I had to get one fixed on a quick schedule while we were
preparing to sell. The company came out and did measurements and did the
install. By far most of the $$$'s was labor and trip charges. I also had a
lot of trouble with the company (broken promises which ultimately cost me 2x
what I was supposed to pay) and I will never use them again.

So, I'm wondering, is there a place I can run the window in, have them
measure it, then run it home, reinstall it (still cracked) while they whip
me up a unit, then return it again while they install it while-I wait? If
so, I could save a lot of money presumabiily, and my wife can watch the
house while I'm gone for each of the two short times.

Is this something standard/feasible? I'm in the Minneapolis area (western
suburbs) if someone here has a specific recommendation (NOT Minneapolis
Glass, which was the above-mentioned company).

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:49:30 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

So, I'm wondering, is there a place I can run the window in, have them
measure it, then run it home, reinstall it (still cracked) while they whip
me up a unit, then return it again while they install it while-I wait? If
so, I could save a lot of money presumabiily, and my wife can watch the
house while I'm gone for each of the two short times.

Find a local company, call and talk to them. After all the crews are
loaded and gone for the day you may be able to walk in and wait
outside (yellow line) while they make the glass.

You can even take it home and put it back in - one trip.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Check the yellow pages under glass. You should have a local supplier or
two. Generally you can bring in the one you have and they can make up one
while you wait. I was able to measure mine and have them make it up from
that. Note: they may be hesitant to make up one from your measurements as
there can be hard feelings is you did not measure the exact same way they
would. I suggest bringing in the old one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Tim,

I just replaced seven thermopane windows down in Eagan. They were all
16" by 50" by 1" and cost about $75 each delivered (double pane,
residential glass, no special gas or coatings) . I measured the windows
while they were still installed and called in the order. It generally
takes about a week for you to get them.

You can get someone to do all the work for you for about $220 each.
But if you can figure out how to take them out, putting them in is
easy. The hardest part is replacing the window stops you break when
you take them out.

I used a small company called Lamont Glass in South St. Paul and they
were very good. Give Noah Lamont a call at 651.755.3000. or email at
for a quote. There are other glass companies in
the metro area that will do this. I also contacted Robert Tarango at
. They might be more in your neighborhood.

Good luck.

dss

Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks much for the references.

When you say "take them out" I'm assuming you mean the sealed glass units
from the frame, not the sliding frame from the window unit itself? I'm not
sure how the glass comes out but I"ve never studied them (unfortunately the
previous owner painted them a hideous color, and we repainted them a more
normal color, so they'e covered with at least two coats of paint so it might
be hard to see how they come apart...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Tim,

Yes, I'm talking about the sealed glass units.

Here's a good reference on figuring out thermopane windows:

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...13&pageIndex=0

My windows have vinyl stops on the outside that hold the sealed units
in place. Once removed, the window glass literally falls out. It is
easier and safer to do this with the entire window frame removed and
laid horizontally. The only thing covering the window at that point
were the screens. Three of the units were in fixed windows so I had to
do them in place.

The problem with the vinyl stops is that they are easy to break and
replacements were hard to get. I ended up making my own stops out of
wood for some of them. If your window is a slider it may not use
stops. I have one slider that didn't need replacement and it looked
like I would have had to disassemble the frame to get the glass out.

The place I dealt with didn't really have a store to take the whole
window to and have them take it a part. They primarily do this work
onsite, but were willing to get me the glass units from their supplier.
Brin Glass seems to be a supplier and they might be able to do what you
describe at their factory.

You could measure the visible portion of the glass and they might be
able to extrapolate the glass units actual size. Give them a call, they
seemed willing to work with home owners. I did contact a dealer for the
window manufacturer (Weathershield) and they had no interest in helping
me do-it-myself. They told me to call a glass company. I was pleased
and surprised by the results.

dss

Tim Fischer wrote:
Thanks much for the references.

When you say "take them out" I'm assuming you mean the sealed glass units
from the frame, not the sliding frame from the window unit itself? I'm not
sure how the glass comes out but I"ve never studied them (unfortunately the
previous owner painted them a hideous color, and we repainted them a more
normal color, so they'e covered with at least two coats of paint so it might
be hard to see how they come apart...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/06 07:17 am Joseph Meehan wrote:

[...]

We have an old (out-of-warranty) Andersen casement with fogged double
glass. Would you suggest getting a local glass co. to fix it rather than
getting a whole new unit from Andersen?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

We have an old (out-of-warranty) Andersen casement with fogged double
glass. Would you suggest getting a local glass co. to fix it rather than
getting a whole new unit from Andersen?

I wouldn't hesitate to use a *good* local glass co. One
that is recommended by neighbors/customers and has served
your local community for quite a few years.

But if you can't find one with those credentials go to
the original manufacturer.

Sticking pins in the Yellow Pages is almost never a
good idea and generally ends in tears.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 09/30/06 07:17 am Joseph Meehan wrote:

We have an old (out-of-warranty) Andersen casement with fogged double
glass. Would you suggest getting a local glass co. to fix it rather
than getting a whole new unit from Andersen?

Perce

Sure, unless you like paying a lot more than needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I doubt that you can get a unit made up "while you wait" as the manufacturer
will have to fit it into his production line and at minimum wait for the
silicone sealer to set up which normally takes 24 hours.

I am picking up 4 units tomorrow, to replace a bedroom window that I am
renovating. They took 3 days to make at a manufacturer I managed to find. I
will install myself. The cost is about 25% of what a local glass company
wanted for plain vanilla units installed where I did most of the prep. The
ones I am picking up are low-e argon filled with plastic separators.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 09/30/06 07:17 am Joseph Meehan wrote:

..

We have an old (out-of-warranty) Andersen casement with fogged double
glass. Would you suggest getting a local glass co. to fix it rather
than getting a whole new unit from Andersen?

Perce

Sure, unless you like paying a lot more than needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Glass for shelves Harlan Messinger Home Repair 11 September 17th 06 01:53 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM