Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing hardwood floors

I have a carpet cleaner, with floor attachment on it. I always assumed that
you use that option for cleaning linoleum or tile or something like that.
Is it desireable to clean your hardwood floors this way or is a mop and
bucket still the best option?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" writes:

I have a carpet cleaner, with floor attachment on it. I always assumed that
you use that option for cleaning linoleum or tile or something like that.
Is it desireable to clean your hardwood floors this way or is a mop and
bucket still the best option?

Hardwood floors finished with polyurethane need only be dust mopped or
wiped with a damp rag if gotten dirty. A large volume of water as in
a mop is not a good idea. Polishing is not necessary for a
polyurethane finish.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Eigenvector" writes:

I have a carpet cleaner, with floor attachment on it. I always assumed
that
you use that option for cleaning linoleum or tile or something like that.
Is it desireable to clean your hardwood floors this way or is a mop and
bucket still the best option?

Hardwood floors finished with polyurethane need only be dust mopped or
wiped with a damp rag if gotten dirty. A large volume of water as in
a mop is not a good idea. Polishing is not necessary for a
polyurethane finish.

--
Todd H.

Ehh, my hardwood floors have been covered by shag carpeting since 1959 - so
they don't have any finish on them unless you count that flaking varnish.

My issue is that the floors are very dirty, and simple sweeping won't
improve their look. That's one of the reasons why I was considering using a
carpet cleaner.

While resurfacing the wood is probably the ultimate cure, it's hardly a task
to take on a whim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message
"Eigenvector" writes:

[...]

So mop away. And watch them warp.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

No puddles, wring the mop out as best you can first
Even better would be a hands and knees affair with some fine steel wool
a little mineral spirits and a bit of paste wax.
Eigenvector wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Eigenvector" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
No puddles, wring the mop out as best you can first
Even better would be a hands and knees affair with some fine steel wool
a little mineral spirits and a bit of paste wax.

Oh man what a pain in the ass. Guess I know why people prefer carpeting
over hardwood.

Would renting a floor buffer speed things up or just tear my flooring all to
shreds?

Eigenvector wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Eigenvector" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:00:46 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I have a carpet cleaner, with floor attachment on it. I always assumed that
you use that option for cleaning linoleum or tile or something like that.
Is it desireable to clean your hardwood floors this way or is a mop and
bucket still the best option?

I prefer to use a dust mop. When I have to clean it well I use an oil
soap and try to minimize the time the floor is wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have kids, 3 of them

dusting the floor would leave the floor sticky and covered with cerial
crumbs

we use a hoover floormate on our bruce floors and have for years. bruce
says to not leave water standing on the floor, so if you mop make sure
you get up as much water as possible.

with the floor mate and my rugrats, we usualy need to let the cleaning
solution sit for about a minute before we scrub to actualy pick up the
goo the kids deposit on the floor.

Empresser #124457

The best Games