Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-hanging gate

Half of a wooden gate on my driveway came off the hinges.
A neighbor is going (I hope!) to help me re-hang it this weekend,
as it is too heavy for moi alone.

Question: "Intuitively" I feel the gate should be braced in closed
position before drilling and installing new hinges. My thinking is
that if the new hinges are misplaced, the two parts of the gate will
not meet properly.

I am a low-skills critter, so I hope somebody understands what
I'm talking about and can give me input.

Tx in advance.

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
Half of a wooden gate on my driveway came off the hinges.
A neighbor is going (I hope!) to help me re-hang it this weekend,
as it is too heavy for moi alone.

Question: "Intuitively" I feel the gate should be braced in closed
position before drilling and installing new hinges. My thinking is
that if the new hinges are misplaced, the two parts of the gate will
not meet properly.

I am a low-skills critter, so I hope somebody understands what
I'm talking about and can give me input.

Tx in advance.

Aspasia

If it just "came off the hinges", why don't you just put it back on them
rather than installing new ones?

Or, were you trying to say that the hinges broke or their screws pulled out?

If the latter, then yes, holding the gate in the correct position would
certainly help, assuming the hinges you are using can have screws
tightened through them while the gate is in its closed position, and not
like common door hinges where you can't.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:56:09 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

aspasia wrote:
Half of a wooden gate on my driveway came off the hinges.
A neighbor is going (I hope!) to help me re-hang it this weekend,
as it is too heavy for moi alone.

Question: "Intuitively" I feel the gate should be braced in closed
position before drilling and installing new hinges. My thinking is
that if the new hinges are misplaced, the two parts of the gate will
not meet properly.

I am a low-skills critter, so I hope somebody understands what
I'm talking about and can give me input.

Tx in advance.

Aspasia

If it just "came off the hinges", why don't you just put it back on them
rather than installing new ones?

Or, were you trying to say that the hinges broke or their screws pulled out?

Yes, that's what happened - screws pulled out and hinges (not put on
by me - not sufficiently heavy duty) warped and twisted.

If the latter, then yes, holding the gate in the correct position would
certainly help, assuming the hinges you are using can have screws
tightened through them while the gate is in its closed position, and not
like common door hinges where you can't.

Mmmm...will take a look tomorrow in daylight and check on that aspect.
Off the top, I think it can be done.

(Is there an Internet acronym for "off the top of my head"?)

Tx

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

aspasia wrote:

[...]

Soitanly!

OTTOMH

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=O

Good luck with the hanging party!

Jeff (In Red Sox Nation)

Tx

Aspasia

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Hanging a gate to open up a hill. TimO UK diy 71 October 25th 18 10:18 PM
gate spring Cuprager UK diy 21 August 30th 06 10:45 PM
I'm building a gate in a not square hole! Advice on hanging it? Mike Barnard UK diy 2 August 6th 06 02:55 PM
d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM
Need some ideas for a gate Jon Ward Metalworking 20 March 25th 04 11:33 AM