Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15A Cartridge Fuses Keep Blowing When I Change Them

My fuse box has 3 cartridges of 15A fuses along with the regular glass
fuses. The 15A cartridges power the outlets in the kitchen and seem to
be interconnected with some of the circuits that operate on the glass
fuses. My problem is that when the cartridge fuses blow, I go through
4 or 5 of them before I can get one to work. Typcially they blow as
soon as I put them in. Could this be because I did not turn off the
power prior to changing them? Should I be using a time delay fust
instead ( these are no motors on these circuits, just outlets from the
kitchen and garage. Why don't they use glass fuses on all the
circuits?

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You might want to consider replacing the panel with circuit breakers. It
sounds like the cartridge fuse circuits are overloaded or have an
intermittent short

wrote in message
ps.com...
My fuse box has 3 cartridges of 15A fuses along with the regular glass
fuses. The 15A cartridges power the outlets in the kitchen and seem to
be interconnected with some of the circuits that operate on the glass
fuses. My problem is that when the cartridge fuses blow, I go through
4 or 5 of them before I can get one to work. Typcially they blow as
soon as I put them in. Could this be because I did not turn off the
power prior to changing them? Should I be using a time delay fust
instead ( these are no motors on these circuits, just outlets from the
kitchen and garage. Why don't they use glass fuses on all the
circuits?

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course you shut off stuff before replacing the fuses. Everything
kicks on at once, what do you expect but a blown fuse. Sounds like
you are overloaded, add some more circuits. To save money on fuses
till you get the job done right, but those screw in circuit breakers.
They screw right in the fuse socket, cost about $10 or less.

On 27 Sep 2006 17:49:13 -0700, wrote:

My fuse box has 3 cartridges of 15A fuses along with the regular glass
fuses. The 15A cartridges power the outlets in the kitchen and seem to
be interconnected with some of the circuits that operate on the glass
fuses. My problem is that when the cartridge fuses blow, I go through
4 or 5 of them before I can get one to work. Typcially they blow as
soon as I put them in. Could this be because I did not turn off the
power prior to changing them? Should I be using a time delay fust
instead ( these are no motors on these circuits, just outlets from the
kitchen and garage. Why don't they use glass fuses on all the
circuits?

Anyone have any ideas?

Small fuses? Mastech HY3005 Keith Marshall Metalworking 1 March 14th 06 08:16 PM
Small fuses? Mastech HY3005 Keith Marshall Electronics Repair 1 March 14th 06 08:16 PM
Panasonic service mode (can't change settings) Limited Edition Clear Vinyl Electronics Repair 24 December 11th 03 08:49 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
WARNING - WAY OT - OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS T. Woodworking 11 October 18th 03 11:50 PM