Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Porcelain tile question

We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife has fallen in love with a
porcelain tile that has a high shine. I'm not sure if you refer to
such tile as "polished" porcelain or not. However, my father-in-law
has cautioned us against this choice claiming that it can get very
slippery when wet and would be overly hazardous for a kitchen floor.
I, too, think it is very attractive but wanted to do my due diligence
to ensure we're not making a mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good for walls, but I don't recommend it for floors. After a while it
will tend to become less glossy in the high traffic areas. I guess if you
don't have that much traffic, it could last a long time. I have not noticed
a problem with slipping, normally, but with the right combination of shoe
soles and water, I expect it could be a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
wrote in message
oups.com...
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife has fallen in love with a
porcelain tile that has a high shine. I'm not sure if you refer to
such tile as "polished" porcelain or not. However, my father-in-law
has cautioned us against this choice claiming that it can get very
slippery when wet and would be overly hazardous for a kitchen floor.
I, too, think it is very attractive but wanted to do my due diligence
to ensure we're not making a mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

However, my father-in-law
has cautioned us against this choice claiming that it can get very
slippery when wet and would be overly hazardous for a kitchen floor.

This is not a matter of opinion.

Just get the COF (coefficient of friction) rating from package or the
manufacturer and compare it to the allowable ranges for various
applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

it will be slippery, we have it in our bathroom, but use mats to stand
on.

Empresser #124457

The best Games

We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife has fallen in love with a
porcelain tile that has a high shine. I'm not sure if you refer to
such tile as "polished" porcelain or not. However, my father-in-law
has cautioned us against this choice claiming that it can get very
slippery when wet and would be overly hazardous for a kitchen floor.
I, too, think it is very attractive but wanted to do my due diligence
to ensure we're not making a mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife has fallen in love with a
porcelain tile that has a high shine. I'm not sure if you refer to
such tile as "polished" porcelain or not. However, my father-in-law
has cautioned us against this choice claiming that it can get very
slippery when wet and would be overly hazardous for a kitchen floor.
I, too, think it is very attractive but wanted to do my due diligence
to ensure we're not making a mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

porcelain is harder (less porous) than ceramic tile, so can be much more
slippery, expecially the glossy kind

you could buy one tile, wet it, and slide a bare foot across it to see

a textured tile might be best for a kitchen (or bathroom) application where
one has to contend with liquid spills on the floor

cheap porcelain tile ,high quality Jerry Home Repair 0 December 20th 05 02:16 AM
Drill Porcelain Tile? Chamblin Home Repair 10 November 30th 05 08:10 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Porcelain tile on sheetrock soffit in shower Flinx Home Repair 0 January 11th 04 03:50 AM
Another Tile Question Dorot29701 Home Repair 7 August 1st 03 01:30 AM