Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot sucks

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:00:41 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:41:24 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

"RayV" wrote in news:1159319290.170825.209150
:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:11:31 GMT, "nowforsale"
wrote:

did the expeditor call you back in 3 days with the measurements?

I like that word, "expeditor".

"expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor",
[...]

We are Expeditor. You will be expedited. Resistance is futile.

But I don't want to be expedited.

That is irrelevant.
You are irrelevant.
You will be expedited.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Anthona writes:

someone should sue HD, for false advertisement.

"False advertisement" is an illegal trade practice, such as "bait and
switch", not what you experienced. You don't sue people for it.

False advertisement is practiced by every car dealer in town. They
advertise cars at a certain price that are not really for sale at that
price. If you ask, they point to the "stock number" in the advertisement
and say it is no longer available.

A large dealership around here was successfully sued by local DA for
exactly that about 10 yrs ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I worked at Bradlees as a college kid it was funny to see people
buy large items like grills and such and then expect them to fit in a
small car. When I bought a front door at HD I figred it would fit in
my wagon but we took the wife;s minivan to be sure. Ask a friend with a
bigger car to go with you - Make it a "man-date" to Home Depot then
feed him or give him a couple beers . Yo may even get a helper to
install it!!!

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

I imagine all these outfits just have the local stores contract with
local yokels, without having to pass a competency test or such. And
they're probably going to get the folks who really need the business,
rather than those who have a local reputation.

I had a similar experience with Sears years ago. Bought a cheapo
storm/screen door on sale. Won't fit in a Civic. Do they deliver? Not
without installation. OK, send over an installer. The guy's coming in
in the AM when I'm leaving. We nod and grunt. In the aft I come back
and he's put the hole in the door for the latch way inboard (I mean,
the hardware comes with a paper template, how can you be off by more
than an inch?) so now he had to make the latch piece on the door frame
meet, so he built it up with some scrap wood he obtained by breaking
off a piece of the door molding and busting it down and stacking up the
pieces. Not cutting, breaking, leaving a big jagged edge. And it's not
flat molding either, so you've got this stack of chunks of wood where
no layer is flat.

I complain to the store, they call back with 'well he told you when he
saw it it couldn't be a perfect job". 1) he didn't see it until i had
driven off 2) WTF? OK, the store calls back and says he's going to
"come out and look at it again." He doesn't come, but a week later, the
store calls back 'he quit" so they're going to not charge me for the
install. Great, now I only have a screen door with the latch hole in
the wrong place, and a ruined molding.

And this is why you go to a real lumber yard that sells screen doors, and
ask for a referral for a carpenter. Then, you divide the "expensive" price
by the number of years you'll be happy looking at the good workmanship, and
it seems cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2006 15:45:00 -0700, "Anthona" wrote:

was told by the salesman that they would have to send a measurer to my
home and there would be a $30 charge, which would be deducted to the
price of the new door, if they do the installation.

Why didn't you just remove the door and bring it to HD. If you can
remove the door you are also capable of putting in the new one. In
any case there are only three items that can go wrong - the glass
panel, the screen or the latch, all of which are easily DIY
replaceable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PaPaPeng wrote:
On 26 Sep 2006 15:45:00 -0700, "Anthona" wrote:

was told by the salesman that they would have to send a measurer to my
home and there would be a $30 charge, which would be deducted to the
price of the new door, if they do the installation.

Why didn't you just remove the door and bring it to HD. If you can
remove the door you are also capable of putting in the new one. In
any case there are only three items that can go wrong - the glass
panel, the screen or the latch, all of which are easily DIY
replaceable.

Sorry, but I had to laugh at your suggestion. First, I don't own a car
or suv to bring the door to HD. Second, and I'm not sure about this,
but HD does not accept doors for measurement..that is why they charge
$30 to send some yolkels, who's english is a joke. Third, it is not the
measurement of the door..(.that is simple ), its the size of the
opening that they want. ..and finally, it is not a common size door to
begin with.