Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading a Drilled Well in a Pit

Howdy.

I have a drilled well that is in a concrete lined pit. I want to
extend the casing above grade, install a pitless adapter, remove the
concrete lining, and backfill. The pipes are all plastic.

Questions:

1. Can I use PVC for the new casing and a fernco fitting to attach it
to the old iron casing?

2. Can I install the pitless adapter to the new PVC rather than
excavating and installing on the old iron casing? It'll be below the
frost line. The pipe and pump aren't too heavy - I can easily lift it.

3. What do I backfill with? Dirt? I don't know how casings are
grouted but should that be extended along the new casing?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

-rev