Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 24 vac/dc relay question

can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side and
connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:33:55 +0300, "Susan" wrote:

can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side and
connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

No, you use the pins with the correct volt/amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Susan wrote:
can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side and
connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

In theory, no.

In practice, you'll have to compare the pin layouts to make sure you're
connecting inputs to inputs and outputs to the correct set of outputs
(that is, do you need NO or NC?). You can't just assume the pins are
in the same relative positions with respect to each other on the two
relays.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Susan" wrote in message ...
can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side
and connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

You probably need to give us more info on the application you're
attempting...

The 4-pin relay is likely an SPST, and the 8-pin a DPDT. DPDT's can be used
as a SPST, but you need to know which pins to use and which to leave
unused...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4 pin relay you have 2 pins to trigger the relay and 2 pins to
handle the load. on the 8 pin the most common configuration has 2 pins
conrolling the switch position (open or closed) and the other 6 are
broken into 2 groups with one pin in each group being common, one pin
being to energize a closed circuit and the last pin to energize an open
circuit. most relays have little pictures that show the wires and the
terminals that they connect to.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Susan wrote:
can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side and
connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Agreed, you also need to know the function of the switch on the existing
relay, which could be normally open, or normally closed. As Tim said, the
DPDT has everything you need... and more, you need to know which terminals
to use for your particular application

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

"Susan" wrote in message
can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side
and connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

You probably need to give us more info on the application you're
attempting...

The 4-pin relay is likely an SPST, and the 8-pin a DPDT. DPDT's can be
used as a SPST, but you need to know which pins to use and which to leave
unused...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:26:24 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

"Susan" wrote in message ...
can someone tell me if it matters that a new small 24 vac/dc relay has 8
pins when the old 24 vac/dc relay had 4 pins? do I just ignore one side
and connect the other side like the old 4-pin version?

You probably need to give us more info on the application you're
attempting...

The 4-pin relay is likely an SPST, and the 8-pin a DPDT. DPDT's can be used
as a SPST, but you need to know which pins to use and which to leave
unused...

-Tim

OP, isn't there a pin layout on the side of each relay. Or, if you
are very careful, and it has transparent sides, you may be able to
look through and see which pins go where, but beware, the wires can
make a turn you don't see and connect to someplace you didn't notice.

Also when you determine which two pins control the coil, you can
connect 24 volts across those two and watch the armature move, or if
the sides are opaque, feel or hear it click.