Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing with old mortise locks

Hi,

My 80 year old mortise locks have stopped working and need replacement.
I have been able to find a lock at hd which, at the very least, fits.
However, it doesn't work well (it already gets stuck rather than
springing back) and the door way still needs mortising to accomodate
the sliding part being of the look being in a somewhat different place.
Not to mention that I will have to spend a significant amount of money
on replacement hardware if I want it to be on the aesthetic side.

So I'm beginning to think that putting in a conventional lock might be
easiear at this point. Is that doable? I was thinking that I would fill
the existing "cavity" with a hardwood and then mortise for a
conventional knob. What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly how have they stopped working? I found that mine didn't work
when I bought the house, but I removed all the excess paint off of
them, and then cleaned and lubed then, then they worked just fine. Can
you take it apart? The trick is to get enough greas on the sliding
parts (and I used regular automotive wheel bearing grease).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine are completely rusted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine are completely rusted.

Is it possible to remove the rust, sand until smoothed, then grease?
And yes the ones at Home Depot don't exactly match mine either, which
is why I didn't try to use them (different measurements) maybe if you
tried a different supplier you might be able to find some decent ones
(Home Depot carries poorest quality available of a lot of things).

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect that the OP is attempting to use those crappy "Franklin"
(Made in China) aftermarket ones they sell at Home Depot. I brought
one of my existing ones to the store and the measurements didn't match
up. I say try again, preforably through the mail. Don't alter the
door, buy the right part.

Mortise locks? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 1 February 28th 06 11:33 PM
Can a lock part be $250.00? miamicuse Home Repair 14 October 18th 05 12:48 AM
Beefing up apartment security - insurance standards, locks, etc. Mark UK diy 2 August 23rd 05 01:12 AM
Window locks on possible fire escapes? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 16th 05 10:44 PM