Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] aaronfude@gmail.com is offline

Default Dealing with old mortise locks

Hi,

My 80 year old mortise locks have stopped working and need replacement.
I have been able to find a lock at hd which, at the very least, fits.
However, it doesn't work well (it already gets stuck rather than
springing back) and the door way still needs mortising to accomodate
the sliding part being of the look being in a somewhat different place.
Not to mention that I will have to spend a significant amount of money
on replacement hardware if I want it to be on the aesthetic side.

So I'm beginning to think that putting in a conventional lock might be
easiear at this point. Is that doable? I was thinking that I would fill
the existing "cavity" with a hardwood and then mortise for a
conventional knob. What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude